Wimbledon 2013: Fifth seed Sara Errani first major casualty after shock win by Monica Puig
Monday 24 June 2013
Fifth seed Sara Errani became the first major casualty of this year's Wimbledon as she was upset by teenager Monica Puig.
Italian Errani, who reached the semi-finals of the recent French Open before losing to eventual winner Serena Williams, went down 6-3 6-2 to her Puerto Rican opponent.
Puig did have the form for an upset however, having sent Nadia Petrova to a first-round defeat in Paris.
And the trick was repeated again today as 19-year-old Puig, ranked 60 places below Errani in the world at 65th, overcame some late jitters to cash in a seventh match point before breaking down in tears.
She hit a total of 35 winners against her stunned opponent, who was perhaps still reeling from taking just one game from Williams at Roland Garros.
Despite her top-level success consisting largely of the victory over Petrova and now this one, Puig has become a sporting national hero in Puerto Rico.
Even though she moved to Miami as a child, she retains strong links with her home town of Hato Rey, and is following in the footsteps of the well-respected Gigi Fernandez.
A former Wimbledon semi-finalist, Olympic winner and multiple grand slam doubles champion, Fernandez put Puerto Rico on the map as a tennis nation and Puig is keen to make a similar impression.
Today's game was streamed live on two television channels at home, and she said: "I moved to America at a relatively early age but I never forget where I am from and return there every single summer.
"My grandparents still live there and I am very proud to be one of the only tennis players from Puerto Rico.
"Everyone will have been watching. It was live on TV and I am a bit of a hero there and it's great that tennis is becoming bigger.
"I am obviously trying to go down the way Gigi Fernandez did, but more as a singles player."
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
Comment: David Moyes paying the price of Manchester United's virtual abstinence from top-level transfers since 2006. Can he refire their ambition?
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Transfer news: Manchester United will not be forced into panic buys, says David Moyes
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Alastair Cook future in jeopardy after another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
Manchester United player ratings: The best (and worst) performers for David Moyes during the season so far
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent