Wimbledon 2014: Now we have a British champion, what on earth will we talk about NEXT year?
Andy Murray's victory poses a problem
Part of the masochistic fun of the Wimbledon fortnight used to be mulling over the lost cause of a British male winner. But the rise of Andy Murray in the last eight years rendered that once daft question sensible. And now, it’s moot. Murray’s win even led yesterday’s New York Times to ask: “Whatever will the British talk about next year at Wimbledon?”
It’s a good question, so we have put our minds to the test to suggest appropriate talking points:
* Can Andy Murray win back-to-back titles for the first time in 78 years?
* When will a British woman finally win Wimbledon again? (Incorporating, “Come on Laura!/ Heather”!)
* The weather. A talking point valid until 2019 when Court One joins the roof club.
* John Inverdale’s looks. Specifically, whether his mum pushed him into radio because he was “never going to be a looker”.
* Condescending pity for America, which hasn’t had a male major singles champion since Andy Roddick in 2003 and whose top player, John Isner is ranked only 19th in the world. (Like many of Monday’s papers, we’ll conveniently ignore the women’s game.)
* Condescendingly asking Australian and French fans if the likes of Bernard Tomic and Gilles Simon can do it this year? (We’ll come to regret this.)
* Where Boris Becker is still getting those white-collar shirts from?
* Where Judy Murray will be sat if Andy makes the final.
(And what we won’t be talking about next year, hopefully):
* Why Andy Murray hasn’t proposed to Ki... Zzzz.
UFC 190 Ronda Rousey vs Bethe Correia: What time does it start and where can I watch it, plus Mauricio Rua vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Norwich City mocked after revealing terrible new third kit - which is also yellow and green
Manchester United 2015/16 kit unveiled: Morgan Schneiderlin leads the Adidas campaign as new shirt is launched
The unlikely rise of AFC Bournemouth - and what it says about English life
Mario Balotelli told he has no future at Liverpool as striker trains away from first-team
- 1 Windows 10: man updates PC, wakes up to find porn slideshow on repeat
- 2 The 'world's most beautiful vagina' has been debunked by science
- 3 John Green schools morning show hosts after awkward interview with Cara Delevingne
- 4 Bulletproof armadillo puts Texas man in hospital after shot bounces off hard shell
- 5 Doctors declare war on Jeremy Hunt over weekend working 'myths' amid plan for seven day NHS
Yvette Cooper: Our choice is years of Tory rule under Jeremy Corbyn – or a return to a Labour government
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
Labour leadership: New poll shows party is now even 'less electable' than under Ed Miliband