Mike Tyson's right thumb, which he broke last month, seems to be healed and ready for a real bout, or at least the one scheduled with Buster Mathis Jnr next week.
Tyson said his injury, which caused the postponement of the bout with the light-hitting Mathis on 4 November, said: "I'm just so conscious of it [the thumb]. That's why I try it so often to make sure it's OK."
Tyson, scheduled to fight Frank Bruno in March for the World Council heavyweight title, appeared to be in good condition in a workout on Wednesday, knocking down his long-time sparring partner and friend, Nate Tubbs, with a left-right-left combination.
"Mike is a lot stronger now than he was before," Tubbs said. "In the past, I'd see some of those shots coming. The one he knocked me down with I didn't see coming." Tubbs was asked what Mathis could expect against Tyson in their scheduled 12-round bout. "Thirty seconds of pain," he said.Reuse content