Walker Cup is the target for Sherry
Monday 12 June 1995
After proving himself the best amateur golfer in Britain, Gordon Sherry feels ready to take on the best in the world, saying "Bring on Tiger Woods," after becoming the 100th Amateur champion with a seven and six victory over ex-professional Michael Reynard at Hoylake on Saturday.
Woods is the most talked-about prodigy in years following his victory in the American Amateur Championship last year and then his debut in the US Masters in April.
The spotlight will be on him again at this week's US Open, but Sherry says he cannot wait for the Walker Cup at Porthcawl in September. "The Walker Cup is the most important thing to me - to play in it and win. If you don't win, it's an anti-climax."
Scores, Sporting Digest, page 21
Latest in Sport
Angel Di Maria reveals wish to return to Argentina - but don't worry Manchester United fans...
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Husain Abdullah penalised after celebrating a touchdown with a Muslim prayer - causing mass outrage among fans
Robin van Persie reveals Louis van Gaal wants Manchester United to 'be more Dutch and pull on the same rope'
Manchester United risk Uefa row over plan to play lucrative midweek friendlies
- 1 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 2 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 3 Isis an hour away from Baghdad - with no sign of Iraq army being able to make a successful counter-attack
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Negotiable: Randstad Education Hull: Randstad Education are recruiting for spe...
£23500 - £40000 per annum: Randstad Education Plymouth: Early Years and Founda...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Hull: Qualified Teachers needed for Supply in t...
£90 - £120 per annum: Randstad Education Hull: Key Stage 2 Supply Teacher requ...