Warrington wilt after Hassan hat-trick

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Warrington 34 Bradford Bulls 44

Three tries in the last seven minutes saw a depleted Bradford Bulls to an unlikely victory despite the dismissal of their centre Matt Calland in the first half.

Calland's sorry disciplinary record seemed to have decided this match, but a hat-trick from the former Fijian rugby union international, Carlos Hassan, kept the Bulls in touch.

Bradford took the lead within three minutes, a long striding run by Brian McDermott setting up the position and Calland going over. Paul Cook landed the conversion and then a penalty to give the Bulls an eight-point lead before Iestyn Harris's penalty got Warrington moving.

Robbie Paul's lovely chip-kick and catch set up Hassan for Bradford's second try, with Cook again on target, but in the 26th minute Calland was sent off for the third time this season after a high tackle which failed to prevent Lee Penny scoring.

Within three minutes, Harris's perfect pass had sent in Ian Knott as the game changed completely and a try by Chris Rudd on half-time put Warrington ahead for the first time.

Less than a minute after the restart, the improving Paul Scul- thorpe's break sent Harris over, Bradford replied with two more tries from Hassan to reclaim the lead, but another fine run by Scul- thorpe enabled Rudd to reclaim pole position for Warrington.

Penny forced his way over in the corner to increase Warrington's lead but tries from Gary Christie, Steve Pickles and Cook's 70-yard interception try and eighth goal finally won it for Bradford.

Warrington: Penny; Finau, Rudd, Currier (Mafi, 54), Thompson; Harris, Ford; Jones (Hilton, 35; Jones 67), Hough, King, Cullen, Knott (Barrow, 57), Sculthorpe.

Bradford: Graham; Christie, Calland, Hassan, Cook; Longo (Paul, 47), Paul (Simpson, 28); Ireland (Bourneville, 65), Pickles, Hamer, McDermott, Knox (Jowitt, 68), Medley.

Referee: S Cummings (Widnes).

n Rochdale Hornets have fined their forward Tony Hilton an undisclosed sum after he was banned for three months by the Rugby League after testing positive for ephedrine.