Wilson is the Maine event

Click to follow
The Independent Online
A Small fact to make Michael Parkinson glow with pride: Barnsley are the only professional club in England or Wales with a 100 per cent record this season. Their 2-1 win at managerless Manchester City took them to the top of the First Division, but Danny Wilson's attractive side ran it very close.

Clint Marcelle, their exciting Trinidadian import, was gifted his second goal of the game 20 seconds from time by a Jeff Whitley back pass after Nigel Clough had equalised Marcelle's earlier strike. It was City's first home defeat of the season and their board, if it has any sense, will have locked Wilson in Maine Road prior to discussions.

The previous leaders, Bolton, collapsed, there is no other word for it, 5-2 at Southend, who were previously bottom. The win, in which Jeroen Boere scored twice, the first an audacious overhead kick, lifted Ronnie Whelan's side up eight places.

After the game, Whelan was to fly to Denmark to watch two strikers. Wonder if he bothered?

Second-placed Norwich had a good win, their fourth in five games, at Bradford City whose goalkeeper, Jonathan Gould, was sent off 15 minutes from the end. That meant a second game in goal this season for striker Carl Shutt. By then, however, the Canaries had the match won, Daryl Sutch and Darren Eadie scoring first half goals. The game between Stoke and Crystal Palace at the Victoria Ground was as tight as predicted, as the Potters twice came back in a 2-2 draw.

The Bees are busy and buzzing in the Second Division. Brentford went top after Jamie Bates and Nicky Forster gave them a 2-0 win at Chesterfield. They are hotly pursued by two promoted sides - Bury, Mark Carter scored twice in their 3-1 defeat of Rotherham, and Plymouth , held 0-0 at home by Notts County, - and a relegated one, Millwall. The Lions beat Bristol Rovers 2-0. Rovers were reduced to 10-men after only 15 minutes when Andy Tillson was sent off.

A good day for Lancashire at Lord's and in football too. Graham of that ilk scored twice in Wigan's 3-0 defeat of Scunthorpe, a result which keeps them top of the Third Division.

Finally, Ray Wilkins, who mutually consented to become a temporary Wycombe player after leaving QPR, was on the losing side again. Wanderers lost 1-0 at home to Luton, and not many teams do that. "It's been a traumatic week," the master of the simple pass and gentle understatement said after the match.