The 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney are set to generate unprecedented levels of interest, as the world's greatest athletes congregate for the Millennium Games, against the wonderful backdrop of Sydney and the delights of Australia. Almost more than anything else, Australians are famous for their obsession with sport. The continent has established its reputation as a leading sporting nation,its little wonder therefore that Australia is host to some of the world's most prestigious sporting events. So with the Sydney 2000 Olympic and Paralympic Games around the corner, there's never been a better time to head Down Under. Quantas have kindly provided the winner with two return tickets to Sydney. Quantas are Australia's international airline and have, for nearly 80 years, been at the forefront of providing new and better ways to take you safely and comfortably to your destination.
The Independent have selected 6 sporting personalities from those previously honoured over the past 50 years - all you have to do is to vote for one of the
athletes who in your opinion has contributed the most to their sport. Phone the number opposite the name listed below and tell us on the line the reason for your selection and leave your name, full address and a daytime telephone number. You could be the lucky winner who receives a pair of tickets to the Sports Writers Dinner and your trip to the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games, courtesy of Sportsworld, who are providing the five day stay in Sydney, which includes a visit to a track event and a field event at the Millennium Olympics.
The Independent selections are as follows:
1) SIR BOBBY CHARLTON: Key member of England's 1966 World Cup-winning team who has become a great sports ambassador. 0901 4777331
2) LINFORD CHRISTIE: Britain's greatest ever sprinter. He won world, European and Olympic titles. 0901 477 7332
3) SEBASTIAN COE: Record-breaking middle-distance runner who won gold at 1980 and 1984 Olympics. 0901 477 7333
4) MARY RAND: Won gold in the long jump, silver in the pentathlon and bronze in the relay in the Tokyo Olympics of 1964. 0901 477 7334
5) STEVE REDGRAVE: Has won 4 Olympic rowing gold medals. Who would bet against number five in Sydney. 0901 477 7335
6) VIRGINIA WADE: Won Wimbledon in the Queen's Silver Jubilee year 1977 to take a place in tennis folklore. 0901 477 7336
Terms and Conditions.
1) Calls cost 60p per minute and should last no longer than two minutes. 2) Winners will be picked at random after the lines close at midnight on Sunday 6 December 1998. 3) Tickets are not transferable there are no substitute prizes or cash alternatives. 4) Normal Independent rules apply. 5) The Editor's
decision is final. 6 ) All entrants must be aged 18 or over and have a valid passport and visa to travel. 7) Open to residents of the UK, Republic of Ireland and the Channel Islands, excluding employees of Independent Newspapers, Quantas Airways or Sportsworld Group PLC, their families, their agencies or any other company directly connected with the administration of this competition. 8) On entering this competition contestants are deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by the competition rules. Entry instructions form part of the rules.9) The prize consists of 2 economy class tickets London - Sydney - London. The prize winner and their partner must travel together for the whole journey. Insurance is not included but must be provided.10) All bookings subject to availability. Once booked no changes to be made without the consent of Quantas and without payment of the relevant charge. 11) Outbound flights must be taken during September 1999 inclusive. 12) Flights are subject to Quantas's Terms and Conditions of carriage and availability. 13) Exact travel date, accommodation and event tickets to be subject to final agreement between Sportsworld and prize winners.Reuse content