Wolves reliant on Bull

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Steve Bull scored the only goal for Wolves against promoted Bradford City at Molineux to give them maximum points after two First Division games, but it was the Black Country side's other striker, Iwan Roberts, who attracted the attention of the visitors' manager Chris Kamara.

Roberts was involved in a collision in the 21st minute with the Bradford goalkeeper, Jonathan Gould, who was stretchered off and replaced by striker Carl Shutt.

"It was a massive gash," an angry Kamara said. "It was a studs-up challenge and the referee slightly disappointed me. If you get ripped by somebody's studs, there is something wrong."

The Wolves manager Mark McGhee defended Roberts. "It was a 50-50 ball and a slippy surface, which I think caused the keeper to slide into Iwan. He is not a player who would intentionally hurt someone. Now and again I wish he would." Indeed. Gould will probably be out for six weeks.

Bradford had the best chance, Mark Stallard shooting over from four yards, before Bull pounced to score his fourth of the season when Simon Osborne's free-kick wasn't cleared.

Bolton, who have played a game more, are top after beating Norwich 3- 1 but Manchester City, pre-season favourites for promotion, lost for the second time in the week, when Stoke, the Division's only other 100 per cent side, scored twice in five minutes. City's former striker Mike Sheron and Richard Forsyth set up the 2-1 win.

The most remarkable match was at Bramall Lane where Howard Kendall's Sheffield United trailed Trevor Francis's Birmingham City 2-0, pulled a goal back before half time and scored three in five second-half minutes to lead 4-2 before the Blues came back to grab a share of the spoils at 4-4.

Plenty of goals elsewhere in the First Division as promoted Oxford thrashed Southend 5-0 and Ipswich beat Reading 5-2. They at least had the excuse of goalkeeper Bobby Mikhailov's sending off when the score was 1-1.

Only Burnley have maximum points after two Second Division matches, David Ayres and Kurt Noga scoring in the 2-1 win over Walsall at Turf Moor. Of the nine clubs following them on four points, Plymouth are the closest but will still be kicking themselves - if manager Neil Warnock is not already doing it for them - after throwing away a 4-1 lead at Wrexham. It too ended 4-4.

Two Third Division sides have the full set of points. Hartlepool beat Fulham 2-1 to maintain their perfect start and for the second consecutive Saturday a solitary goal by Phil Clarkson gave Scunthorpe three points, this time against Torquay. You remember Torquay, the side who escaped the drop when GM Vauxhall Conference champions Stevenage Borough were denied entry to the League. Third Division stragglers beware: Boro are at it again. Last week's 6-0 win was followed by recovery from 2-0 down at home to Morecambe to win 4-2 and top the Conference.

In Scotland, Celtic beat Kilmarnock 3-1 to keep up their pursuit of Rangers. "It was very important for us to win this game," the Celtic manager Tommy Burns said. "We let the supporters down in the first half, and the players were told to change their attitude, which they did."