Workington drop in for win

Rugby League
Click to follow
The Independent Online
Rugby League


Warrington 14 Workington Town 16

Three drop goals in the last 11 minutes gave Workington their first away win of the season, a tribute to their forwards' determined work as much as shrewd tactics in last night's final stages.

Warrington showed other clubs the way by issuing free tickets to children for this match. It helped the atmosphere at Wilderspool no end, although whether it was the match or the accompanying special offer at McDonald's that was the main attraction was unclear.

Those high-pitched voices had their first chance to ring out when Jonathan Davies landed an early penalty, but their burgers turned sour when Workington took an unexpected lead, David Fraisse picking up Dean Marwood's cross- kick from a kind bounce to score in the corner.

Workington could have had a couple more tries, Jonty Gorley knocking on and Darren Carter losing control of the ball after a fine break by the former Warrington forward, Rowland Phillips. Wayne Kitchin eventually put them further ahead with a drop goal.

Town's only weakness was their tendency to give away idiotic penalties. When Warrington chose to one of them Iestyn Harris put Lee Penny over.

Davies' conversion, cancelled out by Marwood's penalty, left Warrington with a one-point half-time lead they scarcely deserved.

Carther again went close to scoring early in the second half, but Warrington gained some breathing space when Harris beat Kitchin with embarrassing ease to go in for a try, again improved by Davies.

Town were not beaten yet, however, Kitchin and Colin Armstrong combining to send in Kevin Pape, with Marwood, who had just missed an easy penalty, adding the goal points.

In the 69th minute, Kitchen put Workington level with the first of the three late drop goals. Even Warrington's sure and certain knowledge that Town were manoeuvring for another could not stop Fraisse picking the ball up from his bootlaces to slot home the second.

When Marwood landed his, from all of 40 yards, Town really believed they could win although they still had to withstand five nervous minutes of Warrington pressure.

Warrington: Penny; Forster, Kettlewell, J Davies, Lee; Sculthorpe, Mackey; King (Chambers, 52), Hough, Hilton, Cullen (Harris, 27), McGuire, Wainright.

Workington Town: Livett; Penrice, Pape, Fraisse, Johnson; Kitchin, Marwood; Schubert (McGuirk, 24), Gorley, Phillips (Riley, 71), Armstrong, Holgate, Carter.

Referee: C Morris (Huddersfield).