MOT examiner

Click to follow
The Independent Online

MOT examiners are charged with carrying out the duties of a diagnostic technician as well as ensuring that all cars brought to them comply with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) road safety and environmental standards.

What do you need to have studied?

GCSEs core subjects are usually required to do an apprenticeship or complete a course to become a mechanic. From there, you will need to have qualified and worked as a diagnostic technician with either a NVQ Level 3 or a Level 3 qualification from the Automotive Technician Accreditation (ATA), or other industry qualification. This will take around three years to obtain.

How do you get a job?

First you must be employed by a garage or organisation that conducts MOT tests. The owner or authorized examiner of the garage must then nominate you to VOSA and act as your sponsor. As a nominated tester you will then be required to attend a three-day training course and complete a practical assessment at your employer’s testing station. In order to be eligible as a candidate you must be at least 20-years-old, in possession of a full and unrestricted driving license, have at least four years’ experience repairing the class of vehicle that you will be testing and have no unspent criminal convictions connected with the vehicle testing trade or the motor trade or involving acts of violence or intimidation.

Is there an interview process?

This varies between garages.

What are the opportunities for career progression?

With further experience and training there is scope to become a master technician.

What’s the salary?

Between £20,000 and £30,000.

What benefits are there?

They vary from employer to employer. The job gives testers the chance to work on a variety of different car models, and no two tests are the same as a result.

What are the challenges of the job?

The physical nature of the job can be demanding and testers may be required to spend time in awkward positions while inspecting car engines and the undersides of cars.

For more information visit