Building, and Town and Country Planning


What courses? Building surveying; construction management; quantity surveying; building technology; construction; building studies; land economy; city and regional planning; building services engineering; real estate management; urban planning; urban studies; town and country planning; planning and development; urban & regional planning; environment and planning; planning and property development.

What do you come out with? A BA or BSC, or an MA in Scotland. An MPlan will give you chartered status as a town planner.

Why do it? "The achievements of the construction industry make modern life possible – from the water and sustainable energy needed in our homes and workplaces, to essential transport infrastructure, to the landmark structures that provide showcase facilities for every area of life, such as Olympic sports, tourist attractions or civic buildings. The industry needs skilled professionals to design, build and manage projects to completion and within budget. Construction professionals enjoy the variety and challenge of working on projects that leave society with a lasting legacy, and the sense of achievement when handing over a finished project to a satisfied client." - Dr Lisa Swaffield, admissions tutor, school of civil and building engineering, Loughborough University

What's it about? Following on where the architects left off. Although distinctly different disciplines, building and town planning are tied in the sense that they cover all aspects of construction aside from the design. Building courses look at how buildings are physically constructed, taking the design on the blueprints and following it through to completion. Taking in elements of civil engineering, but with a far more practical, on-the-job twist, students in building studies will also look at management, materials and infrastructure. Those on surveying courses will learn to diagnose, investigate, analyse and test all aspects of building performance. Town and country planners, however, take a step back from the frontline of construction and consider the practical, social and environmental implications of building a new development. While town planning still remains a career-orientated course, there’s far more theory involved than building, and you should expect to learn about politics, economics and law as well as industry specifics.

Study options: Strictly, it’s three years full-time study, although most universities offer a sandwich year, and this is essential to further career prospects and usually goes towards a professional qualification. Many courses are accredited by professional bodies, including the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI). Some companies offer sponsorship schemes, in which they pay for you to study part-time while you work as a trainee with them.

What will I need to do it? For building and town planning courses, most universities are rather flexible when it comes to A-levels, with no specific subjects being required. Entry grades obviously vary from place to place – at Nottingham and Loughborough it’s BBC, and at UCL you’ll need ABB. Cambridge asks for A*AA for its land economy course.

What are my job prospects? Pretty good. Because your degrees are practical and career-orientated you should be ready to offer something to industry straight away. Both builders and planners tend to go on to on-the-job training in order to become fully chartered. However, if, once you’ve finished your degree, you decide that the construction industryy’s not for you, you’ll find you have transferrable skills that lend you to a career in business, management or the civil service. According to The Times’ Good University Guide 2012, 54 per cent of building graduates go straight into a graduate-level job, earning an average salary of over £21,000. The same guide suggests that job prospects for town planners aren’t as great, with 39 per cent going straight into graduate-level jobs, earning an average salary of just under £20,000.

Where’s best to do it? UCL came top for building in the Complete University Guide 2012, followed by Loughborough, Nottingham and Liverpool. Cambridge topped the table for town and country planning, with UCL appearing again, this time in second place, before Reading, Sheffield and Birmingham. Building students were most satisfied at Loughborough, Plymouth and Coventry, while Birmingham City, Leeds Met and Birmingham came out best for student satisfaction for town and country planning courses.

Related degrees: Civil engineering; architecture; agriculture.

Day In a Page

Seifeddine Rezgui: What motivated a shy student to kill 38 holidaymakers in Tunisia?

Making of a killer

What motivated a shy student to kill 38 holidaymakers in Tunisia?
UK Heatwave: Temperatures on the tube are going to exceed the legal limit for transporting cattle

Just when you thought your commute couldn't get any worse...

Heatwave will see temperatures on the Tube exceed legal limit for transporting cattle
Exclusive - The Real Stories of Migrant Britain: Swapping Bucharest for London

The Real Stories of Migrant Britain

Meet the man who swapped Romania for the UK in a bid to provide for his family, only to discover that the home he left behind wasn't quite what it seemed
Cheaper energy on the way, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows

Cheaper energy on the way, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows

Solar power will help bring down electricity prices over the next five years, according to a new report. But it’s cheap imports of ‘dirty power’ that will lower them the most
Katy Perry prevented from buying California convent for $14.5m after nuns sell to local businesswoman instead

No grace of God for Katy Perry as sisters act to stop her buying convent

Archdiocese sues nuns who turned down star’s $14.5m because they don’t approve of her
Ajmer: The ancient Indian metropolis chosen to be a 'smart city' where residents would just be happy to have power and running water

Residents just want water and power in a city chosen to be a ‘smart’ metropolis

The Indian Government has launched an ambitious plan to transform 100 of its crumbling cities
Michael Fassbender in 'Macbeth': The Scottish play on film, from Welles to Cheggers

Something wicked?

Films of Macbeth don’t always end well - just ask Orson Welles... and Keith Chegwin
10 best sun creams for body

10 best sun creams for body

Make sure you’re protected from head to toe in the heatwave
Wimbledon 2015: Nick Bollettieri - Milos Raonic has ability to get to the top but he must learn to handle pressure in big games

Nick Bollettieri's Wimbledon files

Milos Raonic has ability to get to the top but he must learn to handle pressure in big games
Women's World Cup 2015: How England's semi-final success could do wonders for both sexes

There is more than a shiny trophy to be won by England’s World Cup women

The success of the decidedly non-famous females wearing the Three Lions could do wonders for a ‘man’s game’ riddled with cynicism and greed
How to stop an asteroid hitting Earth: Would people co-operate to face down a global peril?

How to stop an asteroid hitting Earth

Would people cooperate to face a global peril?
Just one day to find €1.6bn: Greece edges nearer euro exit

One day to find €1.6bn

Greece is edging inexorably towards an exit from the euro
New 'Iron Man' augmented reality technology could help surgeons and firefighters, say scientists

'Iron Man' augmented reality technology could become reality

Holographic projections would provide extra information on objects in a person's visual field in real time
Sugary drinks 'are killing 184,000 adults around the world every year'

Sugary drinks are killing 184,000 adults around the world every year

The drinks that should be eliminated from people's diets
Pride of Place: Historians map out untold LGBT histories of locations throughout UK

Historians map out untold LGBT histories

Public are being asked to help improve the map