What courses? Chinese; Chinese studies; Mandarin Chinese. It’s usually studied as one half of a joint honours degree.

What do you come out with? A BA or MA in Scotland.

Why do it? "China has a long, unbroken written record of its history and culture, and its importance in the modern world is increasing rapidly. Intensive study of its language and written script, along with courses on its history, economy, political structure, art, etc. is key to understanding this fascinating civilization, and serves as a basis for understanding one’s own civilization." - Dr Andrew Lo , head of Department of China and Inner Asia, The School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London

What's it about? Using a multitude of disciplines to explore one of the world’s largest, most powerful, and not to mention culturally fascinating nations, looking at its language, history, politics, religion and society as a whole. You can expect the first year at least to be spent getting you up to speed with Mandarin, as, according to the Foreign Office, it takes four times longer to pick up Chinese than it does a European language. Expect modules in culture, cinema, specific historical periods and literature. Almost all courses require you to take a year to study in China, and, unlike most universities, at Nottingham Trent this actually counts towards your final degree grade, as you study at the university’s own Ningbo campus. Once you’re back on British soil, with a greater understanding of the region, you’ll be expected to complete a dissertation or research project in your final year.

Study options: Three years full-time plus your year out in China.The year abroad isn’t compulsory at SOAS, and Westminster and Trinity Saint David also offer three-year BAs. If you’re studying as part of a joint honours it may also be an option to skip the year abroad.

What will I need to do it? Prior knowledge of Mandarin is not a requirement, but if you do have a little (or even a lot of) know-how, universities will make an effort to accommodate you. Many courses ask for a language at A-level to gage your language acquisition potential. Social sciences or humanities at A-level are also treated favourably. As with all of its subjects, Cambridge asks for A*AA for its Asian and Middle Eastern studies course, in which you can take a Chinese pathway., whereas at SOAS you’ll be needing AAB.

What are my job prospects? With the seemingly unstoppable growth of the Chinese economy and its influence over world markets, now is perhaps one of the best times to be learning the language, as well as about the culture of the region. Mandarin speakers in the world of business are in high demand, and therefore graduates could find themselves in highly-placed roles, bridging the gap between corporations’ Eastern and Western interests. Others go for work in journalism, the civil service or with NGOs and charities. Around half of students land themselves graduate-level jobs straight away, according to The Times' Good University Guide 2012, earning an average starting salary of £20,750.To get the most value out of your degree, you’ll probably have to head back to China, but that shouldn’t be a problem , as your love for the country is why you decided to do the degree in the first place, right?

Where’s best to do it? Cambridge comes top overall in the Complete University Guide for East and South Asian studies, although it only offers Chinese studies as a pathway in its Asian and Middle Eastern studies degree. In second place is Oxford, which offers Chinese as part of its classics and oriental studies programme. SOAS and Nottingham also come out well overall. Oxbridge also excels for student satisfaction.

Related degrees: African studies; Arabic and Middle Eastern studies; English; politics; anthropology; sociology.

Arts and Entertainment
Billie Piper as Brona in Penny Dreadful
tvReview: It’s business as usual in Victorian London. Let’s hope that changes as we get further into the new series spoiler alert
Life and Style
A nurse tends to a recovering patient on a general ward at The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham
Fans take a selfie with Ed Miliband in Kempston, near Bedford, on Tuesday
election 2015
Arts and Entertainment
No Offence
tvReview: No Offence has characters who are larger than life and yet somehow completely true to life at the same time spoiler alert
Chuck Norris pictured in 1996

Day In a Page

General Election 2015: Ed Miliband's unlikely journey from hapless geek to heart-throb

Miliband's unlikely journey from hapless geek to heart-throb

He was meant to be Labour's biggest handicap - but has become almost an asset
General Election 2015: A guide to the smaller parties, from the the National Health Action Party to the Church of the Militant Elvis Party

On the margins

From Militant Elvis to Women's Equality: a guide to the underdogs standing in the election
Amr Darrag: Ex-Muslim Brotherhood minister in exile still believes Egypt's military regime can be replaced with 'moderate' Islamic rule

'This is the battle of young Egypt for the future of our country'

Ex-Muslim Brotherhood minister Amr Darrag still believes the opposition can rid Egypt of its military regime and replace it with 'moderate' Islamic rule, he tells Robert Fisk
Why patients must rely less on doctors: Improving our own health is the 'blockbuster drug of the century'

Why patients must rely less on doctors

Improving our own health is the 'blockbuster drug of the century'
Sarah Lucas is the perfect artist to represent Britain at the Venice Biennale

Flesh in Venice

Sarah Lucas has filled the British pavilion at the Venice Biennale with slinky cats and casts of her female friends' private parts. It makes you proud to be a woman, says Karen Wright
11 best anti-ageing day creams

11 best anti-ageing day creams

Slow down the ageing process with one of these high-performance, hardworking anti-agers
Juventus 2 Real Madrid 1: Five things we learnt, including Iker Casillas is past it and Carlos Tevez remains effective

Juventus vs Real Madrid

Five things we learnt from the Italian's Champions League first leg win over the Spanish giants
Ashes 2015: Test series looks a lost cause for England... whoever takes over as ECB director of cricket

Ashes series looks a lost cause for England...

Whoever takes over as ECB director of cricket, says Stephen Brenkley
Fishing for votes with Nigel Farage: The Ukip leader shows how he can work an audience as he casts his line to the disaffected of Grimsby

Fishing is on Nigel Farage's mind

Ukip leader casts a line to the disaffected
Who is bombing whom in the Middle East? It's amazing they don't all hit each other

Who is bombing whom in the Middle East?

Robert Fisk untangles the countries and factions
China's influence on fashion: At the top of the game both creatively and commercially

China's influence on fashion

At the top of the game both creatively and commercially
Lord O’Donnell: Former cabinet secretary on the election and life away from the levers of power

The man known as GOD has a reputation for getting the job done

Lord O'Donnell's three principles of rule
Rainbow shades: It's all bright on the night

Rainbow shades

It's all bright on the night
'It was first time I had ever tasted chocolate. I kept a piece, and when Amsterdam was liberated, I gave it to the first Allied soldier I saw'

Bread from heaven

Dutch survivors thank RAF for World War II drop that saved millions
Britain will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power - Labour

How 'the Axe' helped Labour

UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power