What courses? Italian (often offered as part of a joint honours degree with a multitude of other subjects)

What do you come out with? BA.

Why do it? "Studying Italian at university gives access to one of the world's greatest and oldest cultures, and to a massive EU market. If you’re interested in art or architecture - from Giotto to Leonardo, from Michelangelo to Marinetti - Italian is a must. If you're a literature buff, you’ll already know about Dante, the Italian Shakespeare (but 200 years earlier), and Italian writing retains a world standing to this day, not to mention its cinema. Italy has a thoroughly chequered past and present, and is fascinating for historians and political scientists. And finally, study Italian to do business with the world’s eighth largest economy” - Dr. Alan O'Leary, senior lecturer, department of Italian, University of Leeds

What’s it about? The language, sights, sounds and smells of Italy. Some courses are more language-focused than others so you’ve got to be careful when looking at the course structures that you find one with a mix of literature and language learning that suits you. Modules range from 20th century literature and feminist writings to more traditional literature. More and more students are taking Italian as a joint honours degree and at Durham you can opt for three languages. You can also take Italian joint honours with a host of other subjects from anatomical science to zoology. Expect lots of oral examinations to sharpen up those speaking skills and plenty of translation exercises.

Study options: Most courses are available at beginners’ and advanced level, but some universities don’t offer an advanced option. Cambridge, for example, expects beginners to have reached A-level standard by the end of their first year of study. A degree usually lasts four years, one of which is spent abroad. Common year abroad options include studying at an Italian university or working as a language assistant for the British Council. Some universities allow you to apply for other work placements, but these are often organised through private arrangements.

What will I need to do it? An interest in languages is expected. For example, the standard grade requirements for Cambridge are A*AA. Leeds asks for ABC or BBB, preferably including a modern language, or with a B in Italian A-level if applying for advanced study. Hull’s standard entry requirements are between 280 and 300 UCAS points; the equivalent of BBB-BBC at A-level.

What are my job prospects? Graduates go into business, translating, teaching, law, the media and further education. According to The Times’ Good University Guide 2012, six out of 10 graduates are in graduate-level jobs or further study within six months of completing their undergad, and 10 per cent are unemployed. Cambridge was the only university to see over 80 per cent of leavers go straight into graduate-level jobs. Starting salaries tend to be around the £19,000 mark.

Where’s best to do it? Cambridge came top in the Complete University Guide 2012, followed by Oxford, Leeds and Warwick. Students at Northumbria, Cambridge and Hull were most satisfied with their courses however.

Related degrees: German; Spanish; French; English; Celtic and Gaelic studies; classics.

Alexis Sanchez has completed a £35m move to Arsenal, the club have confirmed
sportGunners complete £35m signing of Barcelona forward
Poor teachers should be fearful of not getting pay rises or losing their job if they fail to perform, Steve Fairclough, headteacher of Abbotsholme School, suggested
voicesChris Sloggett explains why it has become an impossible career path
world cup 2014
Ray Whelan was arrested earlier this week
Arts and Entertainment
In a minor key: Keira Knightley in the lightweight 'Begin Again'
Arts and Entertainment
Celebrated children’s author Allan Ahlberg, best known for Each Peach Pear Plum
peopleIndian actress known as the 'Grand Old Lady of Bollywood' was 102
Wayne’s estate faces a claim for alleged copyright breaches
newsJohn Wayne's heirs duke it out with university over use of the late film star's nickname
Life and Style
It beggars belief: the homeless and hungry are weary, tortured, ghosts of people – with bodies contorted by imperceptible pain
lifeRough sleepers exist in every city. Hear the stories of those whose luck has run out
Mick Jagger performing at Glastonbury
Life and Style
fashionJ Crew introduces triple zero size to meet the Asia market demand
Santi Cazorla, Mikel Arteta and Mathieu Flamini of Arsenal launch the new Puma Arsenal kits at the Puma Store on Carnaby Street
sportMassive deal worth £150m over the next five years
Arts and Entertainment
Welsh opera singer Katherine Jenkins
musicHolyrood MPs 'staggered' at lack of Scottish artists performing
Life and Style
beautyBelgian fan lands L'Oreal campaign after being spotted at World Cup
Arts and Entertainment
Currently there is nothing to prevent all-male or all-female couples from competing against mixed sex partners at any of the country’s ballroom dancing events
Potential ban on same-sex partners in ballroom dancing competitions amounts to 'illegal discrimination'

Day In a Page

A History of the First World War in 100 Moments: Peace without magnanimity - the summit in a railway siding that ended the fighting

A History of the First World War in 100 Moments

Peace without magnanimity - the summit in a railway siding that ended the fighting
Scottish independence: How the Commonwealth Games could swing the vote

Scottish independence: How the Commonwealth Games could swing the vote

In the final part of our series, Chris Green arrives in Glasgow - a host city struggling to keep the politics out of its celebration of sport
Out in the cold: A writer spends a night on the streets and hears the stories of the homeless

A writer spends a night on the streets

Rough sleepers - the homeless, the destitute and the drunk - exist in every city. Will Nicoll meets those whose luck has run out
Striking new stations, high-speed links and (whisper it) better services - the UK's railways are entering a new golden age

UK's railways are entering a new golden age

New stations are opening across the country and our railways appear to be entering an era not seen in Britain since the early 1950s
Conchita Wurst becomes a 'bride' on the Paris catwalk - and proves there is life after Eurovision

Conchita becomes a 'bride' on Paris catwalk

Alexander Fury salutes the Eurovision Song Contest winner's latest triumph
Pétanque World Championship in Marseilles hit by

Pétanque 'world cup' hit by death threats

This year's most acrimonious sporting event took place in France, not Brazil. How did pétanque get so passionate?
Whelks are healthy, versatile and sustainable - so why did we stop eating them in the UK?

Why did we stop eating whelks?

Whelks were the Victorian equivalent of the donor kebab and our stocks are abundant. So why do we now export them all to the Far East?
10 best women's sunglasses

In the shade: 10 best women's sunglasses

From luxury bespoke eyewear to fun festival sunnies, we round up the shades to be seen in this summer
Germany vs Argentina World Cup 2014: Lionel Messi? Javier Mascherano is key for Argentina...

World Cup final: Messi? Mascherano is key for Argentina...

No 10 is always centre of attention but Barça team-mate is just as crucial to finalists’ hopes
Siobhan-Marie O’Connor: Swimmer knows she needs Glasgow joy on road to Rio

Siobhan-Marie O’Connor: Swimmer needs Glasgow joy on road to Rio

18-year-old says this month’s Commonwealth Games are a key staging post in her career before time slips away
The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week

The true Gaza back-story that the Israelis aren’t telling this week

A future Palestine state will have no borders and be an enclave within Israel, surrounded on all sides by Israeli-held territory, says Robert Fisk
A History of the First World War in 100 Moments: The German people demand an end to the fighting

A History of the First World War in 100 Moments

The German people demand an end to the fighting
New play by Oscar Wilde's grandson reveals what the Irish wit said at his trials

New play reveals what Oscar Wilde said at trials

For a century, what Wilde actually said at his trials was a mystery. But the recent discovery of shorthand notes changed that. Now his grandson Merlin Holland has turned them into a play
Can scientists save the world's sea life from

Can scientists save our sea life?

By the end of the century, the only living things left in our oceans could be plankton and jellyfish. Alex Renton meets the scientists who are trying to turn the tide
Richard III, Trafalgar Studios, review: Martin Freeman gives highly intelligent performance

Richard III review

Martin Freeman’s psychotic monarch is big on mockery but wanting in malice