Leading article: Research pays
Thursday 12 May 2005
Aberdeen University is certainly striking out on its own.
Aberdeen University is certainly striking out on its own. First it showed other universities the way to raise money American-style from alumni and major donors - and has built up an endowment of £100m as a result. Now it has launched a splashy advertising campaign to find 50 new PhD students. These researchers will be given an enticing £15,000 a year, a substantial outlay for the university. Aberdeen is not doing this to be nice to postgraduates. Like all universities it needs to improve its game and fight off the English institutions that are forever trying to poach its academic stars. Let's hope it succeeds.
- 1 Revolutionary lost Caravaggio painting 'Mary Magdalen in Ecstasy' identified
- 2 McKamey Manor: This 'extreme' haunted house is the stuff of nightmares
- 3 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 4 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 5 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£7 - £8 per hour: Randstad Education Leeds: Nursery Nurse Leeds November start...
£60 - £65 per day + plus free travel scheme: Randstad Education Cardiff: The J...
£100 - £181 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: The JobTo plan and deliver all ...