Leading article: Research pays
Thursday 12 May 2005
Aberdeen University is certainly striking out on its own.
Aberdeen University is certainly striking out on its own. First it showed other universities the way to raise money American-style from alumni and major donors - and has built up an endowment of £100m as a result. Now it has launched a splashy advertising campaign to find 50 new PhD students. These researchers will be given an enticing £15,000 a year, a substantial outlay for the university. Aberdeen is not doing this to be nice to postgraduates. Like all universities it needs to improve its game and fight off the English institutions that are forever trying to poach its academic stars. Let's hope it succeeds.
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 San Francisco TV news crew attacked by armed robbers during live broadcast
- 4 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
- 5 Miami defendant sobs in court as he realises he and the judge attended the same school
£18 - 23k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Marketing Executive / Assistant is n...
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider to the fa...
£25000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful & reputable global business is l...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: At SThree, we like to be differe...