The 9 biggest Halloween costume faux-pas
Miley Cyrus? Dead dictators? "Sexy" foodstuffs?
Halloween: is it really the one time of the year when social anarchy reigns? When taboos disappear in a puff of red smoke to make space not only for felines and ghosts, but ruthless criminals, unsightly wounds and lethal vermillion cocktails?
Or are societal conventions and outfit etiquette supposed to be respected on this day as well?
Most of us don’t take the festivity too seriously. We recognize that it is a non-event, an idea that has no real foundation or reason in our own society, other than because it is an excuse for celebration. And money doesn’t have to be burnt for Halloween to be fun; sometimes the best outfits, the best beverages and the best decorations are created spontaneously with random ingredients found at the back of wardrobes and cupboards.
Nonetheless, history tells us that mistakes can still be made on Halloween, and indeed on any fancy dress occasion. Just eight years ago, Prince Harry was forced to apologise for turning up to a party dressed as a Nazi. Last month, Asda and Tesco were reprimanded for selling a ‘mental patient fancy dress’ Halloween costume online.
So wear what you dare this Halloween; just don’t expect everyone to find your getup or your gimmicks as great as you do.
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
- 1 Three of Pope Francis' relatives die in Argentina car crash, including two young great-nephews
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad with Jager and potatoes for vodka as campsite opens tomorrow
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
£18000 - £23000 per annum + OTE: SThree: Real Staffing Group is seeking Traine...
£23000 - £30000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client are cuu...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: HR Advisor (Employee Rela...
£25 - 40k (DOE) + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: A PHP Developer / PHP Web ...