Britain needs a radical rethink of its defences against emerging plant diseases brought in from abroad, such as the chalara fungus now threatening ash trees, the Environment Secretary, Owen Patterson, said.
A ban on the import of ash trees has been imposed in a bid to stop the spread of a “devastating disease”, the Government said today.
Two pharmacy companies in the Boston area plan to cease operations as a “precautionary move” after an outbreak of meningitis linked to tainted medication killed 12 people.
America's bats are dying in record numbers because of a deadly fungus that thrives where they sleep. Now there are signs that it could happen here
Twelve castrated male reindeer, 12 canaries, reindeer urine, fly agaric mushrooms and two houseflies of indeterminate sex. So reads the list of materials used in Carsten Höller's latest exhibition, SOMA, at the Hamburger Bahnhof museum in Berlin.
A virulent and deadly pathogen in America is exterminating a predator that is vital to farmers for controlling insect pests
Professor Terence Ingold, who has died at the great age of 104, was the Grand Old Man of mycology (the study of fungi). His academic career spanned much of the 20th century and he will always be known as the discoverer of an important group of aquatic fungi known as Ingoldian fungi in his honour.
Schools are being sent thousands of saplings grown from cuttings of trees that weren't wiped out
The biggest collection of fungi in the world will be created this week as Kew Gardens takes delivery of more than 400,000 specimens.
The National Trust has warned the Government that drastic action must be taken to curb the invasion of two deadly fungal diseases which could affect all public gardens in the UK within 20 years.
No matter how downcast you get about the state of your golf, you can always rely on someone to prove himself even more inept. So we were much cheered last Sunday morning when a player in our winter league hit a mushroom he thought was his ball.
Nicholas Evans, the author of The Horse Whisperer, is in hospital in Aberdeen after eating a rare species of poisonous mushroom while on holiday with his wife in the Highlands.