With these latest arrests Scotland Yard has opened up a whole new flank in its hacking inquiry – with enormous implications for Rupert Murdoch's News International.
Glenn Mulcaire
Like this page on Facebook for updates
On Google+
On Twitter
Top writers
Places
Politics
The Independent
i Newspaper
Ian Burrell: Day of reckoning over phone hacking will see most of News International's former hierarchy in the dock
Tuesday 24 July 2012
The day of reckoning over phone hacking is almost upon us and almost the entire former hierarchy of News International will be standing in the dock. No wonder Rupert Murdoch quietly dropped his directorship of the company at the weekend.
Former Scottish leader 'a victim of phone hacking'
Monday 30 April 2012
The former First Minister of Scotland Jack McConnell has become the latest high-profile political target of phone hacking by Rupert Murdoch's News International.
Koo Stark to sue News Corp over hacking
Saturday 28 April 2012
American actress Koo Stark is set to launch legal action in the US against Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation.
Met admits illegally covering up hacking
Wednesday 08 February 2012
The Metropolitan Police yesterday admitted it had unlawfully failed to tell five high-profile individuals, including the former deputy prime minister John Prescott, that their voicemail messages had been hacked by the News of the World.
Private investigator attempts to gag media
Saturday 04 February 2012
The jailed private detective at the centre of the News of the World's phone hacking scandal is taking legal action to prevent the media reporting any details of News International's illegal operations that could be revealed in a trial scheduled to begin later this month.
Scotland Yard tells Liam Fox that his phone was hacked
Friday 27 January 2012
Liam Fox, the former defence secretary, was the subject of a phone-hacking operation by a private detective who had worked for the News of the World, Scotland Yard has discovered.
Ian Burrell: We shouldn't keep victims of dark arts in the dark
Friday 27 January 2012
I have seen the Operation Motorman files and the thousands of names of targeted individuals. Some of them are instantly recognisable as high-profile figures from the worlds of entertainment, politics and sport. Others are members of the public who are not household names, but came on to the radar of the media, which paid a private detective to check them out.
Joan Smith: I've waited for this ever since they told me I'd been hacked
Friday 20 January 2012
Yesterday confirmed the degree of suspicion that was created between husbands and their wives
'Silent Shadow' sheds light on six years of snooping
Friday 16 December 2011
Private detective says he was made a journalist by NOTW so paper could claim it did not employ outside investigators
Amol Rajan: Brooks' career is a parable of modern Fleet Street
Thursday 15 December 2011
The career of Rebekah Brooks is a parable of modern Fleet Street. More than any other female British journalist of her generation, she has championed journalism which is wanton, opportunistic, inhumane, and hypocritical.
Amol Rajan: Brooks' career is a parable of modern Fleet Street
Thursday 15 December 2011
FreeView from the editors at i
Glenn Mulcaire fights for legal fees from News Group Newspapers
Tuesday 13 December 2011
There was "nothing exotic, unusual or improper" in an arrangement in which News Group Newspapers would pay private investigator Glenn Mulcaire's legal fees, a judge heard today.
Milly Dowler message-deletion could have been automatic
Monday 12 December 2011
Messages on murdered teenager Milly Dowler's mobile phone may have been "automatically" removed, a judge chairing an inquiry into press standards was told today.
Eight hundred people had phones hacked
Saturday 10 December 2011
The final total of people whose phones were hacked by the News of the World will be about 800, it was reported today.
- 1 Is the Muslim call to prayer really such a menace?
- 2 Channel 4 to 'provoke' viewers who associate Islam with terrorism with live call to prayer during Ramadan
- 3 US army doctor returns arm to Vietnamese soldier fifty years after he took it as a souvenir
- 4 Police seize possessions of rough sleepers in crackdown on homelessness
- 5 Demand for food banks has nothing to do with benefits squeeze, says Work minister Lord Freud
How will you make today delicious?
Tell us how you plan to make today delicious and you could win a £50 M&S gift card.
Win a three-night weekend break for two in Stockholm
Hesperus Press are offering the chance to win a three-night weekend away for two to Stockholm.
Summer food reader survey
Take our grocery shopping survey for your chance to win a £100 M&S store gift card.
See Norway’s spectacular coastline
There is no finer way to discover and explore the dramatic Norwegian coastline than aboard an authentic Hurtigruten cruise.
Where's Wallonia?
War and peace: history revisited in the cities of Southern Belgium - a travel guide in association with the Belgian Tourist Office.
Win first-class inter-rail passes
Win first-class rail passes to explore the sights and sounds of Europe with redspottedhanky.com.
Celebrate the joy of reading with NOOK®
You can buy a NOOK Simple Touch Glowlight at £69, or the NOOK HD 8GB Tablet for just £99 - until 3 September.
Enter the latest Independent competitions
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Business videos from commercial thought leaders
Watch the best in the business world give their insights into the world of business.
Career Services
Day In a Page
Four nights from £669pp, seven nights from £999pp or 13 nights from £2,199pp Find out more




