The poor hyphen. With the news last week that rapper Jay-Z was dropping the hyphen from his name to become simply Jay Z, it becomes the latest diacritical mark to come under sustained pressure from modern usage. We’ve not been this upset since Waterstones boss James Daunt ditched the book chain’s apostrophe.
Martha Lane Fox
Like this page on Facebook for updates
Friday 14 June 2013
A Google-backed London start-up that teaches primary school children computer coding is expanding overseas after being flooded with requests to set up spin-offs across the world.
Wednesday 27 February 2013
The founder of online travel company LastMinute.com is set to become the youngest female member of the House of Lords after being appointed as a cross-bench peer.
Friday 28 October 2005
Sunday 03 October 2004
Friday 06 February 2004
Monday 29 December 2003
Sunday 28 December 2003
Friday 07 February 2003
Saturday 27 July 2002
Tuesday 23 July 2002
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
- 1 Scientists create transparent mouse complete with see-through organs
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness
- 3 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 4 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- 5 Amazonian Indian tribe filmed making contact with Brazil village in rare video footage