Timeline: Race for space
Saturday 26 July 2008
* 29 July 1958: President Eisenhower signs the National Aeronautics and Space Act, establishing the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Nasa).
* 11 October 1958: First Nasa launch from Cape Canaveral: Pioneer 1.
* 12 April 1961: Yuri Gagarin becomes the first human to go into space, in the Vostok I spacecraft. Flight lasts 108 minutes.
* 5 May 1961: Alan Shepard becomes the first American in space aboard Freedom 7.
* 20 February 1962: John Glenn becomes the first American to orbit the earth, in the Friendship 7 Mercury spacecraft.
* 20 July 1969: First moon landing. Neil Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin become the first and second humans on the moon, arriving aboard Apollo 11.
* 28 January 1986: Space Shuttle Challenger blows up just after take-off. All crew members die.
* 20 February 1986: Russia launches the core module for the Mir Space Station.
* 24 April 1990: Hubble telescope launched from Space Shuttle Columbia.
* 20 November 1998: First part of the International Space Station – the Russian-built Zarya module – is launched.
* 28 April 2001: The first space tourist, American Dennis Tito, spends eight days on the International Space Station. He pays £14m for the privilege.
* 1 February 2003: The crew of the Space Shuttle Columbia perish when it breaks up on re-entry.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Hair loss explained: How and why men go bald
- 2 Game of Thrones season 6: Jon Snow theorists believe Ned Stark's son may have a twin sister
- 3 Artist takes LSD, draws herself over different stages of the 9-hour trip to show its effects
- 4 iPhone 6s camera: features to include 4K video camera and flash for selfies
- 5 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
Dresden riots: Protesters in Germany attack refugee buses shouting 'foreigners out'
France train shooting: US soldiers speak of the moment they stopped gunman and 'beat him until he was unconscious'
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Brand Manager / Marketing Campaign Manager is req...