New horizons: The Nile, Egypt
Expanding the world of travel
Friday 11 May 2012
For about 15 years, Nile cruises were restricted to a stretch of the river between Luxor and Aswan. The route through lower Egypt, towards Cairo, was closed to cruises after violence flared in the mid 1990s and water levels became unpredictable.
Now, after lengthy irrigation projects and a consensus that it is safe, the Egyptian Ministry of Tourism says up to 40 of the 270 boats that ply the Nile can resume trips at the end of this month, taking in the rock tombs of Beni Hassan, ruins of Tuna el-Gebel and wildlife-rich scenery. Bear in mind that the FCO still warns of protests in Cairo.
Sanctuary Retreats (020-7190 7728; sanctuaryretreats.com) has a 10-night cruise from Cairo to Aswan , departing 19 August, from £745 per person; flights not included.
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 4 Grace Dent on TV: Extreme Couponing, My Strange Addiction, and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, TLC
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£26400 - £36000 per annum: Randstad Education Maidstone: An Independant school...
£22k-£25k + comm + benefits: Blue Travel Solutions: LOOKING FOR A CAREER IN TH...
£26k-£29k + excellent comm: Blue Travel Solutions: We have a high-end luxury t...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + (£15K + Uncapped Commission & Benefits): Flight Ce...