New Horizons: Baja California, Mexico
Expanding the world of travel
Friday 08 June 2012
A new route from Los Angeles's second airport to a small town in Mexico doesn't sound like much, but this week's AirTran launch of a link from Orange County to Los Cabos, at the southern tip of Baja California, is rich in possibility.
A one-way fare, typically about $150 (£100), will transport you to one of the world's finest whale-watching locations.
Then take the Baja Ferries boat from nearby La Paz to Topolobampo on the Mexican mainland, and hop on a bus for 20 minutes to Los Mochis.
This is one end of the finest day-long train ride in the Americas – the Chihuahua al Pacífico or Copper Canyon Railway – which climbs to 8,000ft as it snakes through spectacular terrain en route to Chihuahua – not a place, sadly, to linger these days because of drug-related violence (airtran.com).
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working on international markets without ge...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...