'If you agree with me, I'll probably fire you'
Sunday 07 September 1997
Spiro also favours Eilat for holidays, and takes his wife Sandra, who is an interior designer, and their five-year-old son there at least once a year. Says Spiro: "Eilat has great weather, beautiful water for snorkelling and some of the best quad biking. In February I was at the top of the highest mountain in Eilat and could look down over Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Egypt." Spiro visits Osaka and Tokyo in connection with his computer company but to him Japan is much more than a business destination. He explains: "My first job when I graduated from university was for the hi- fi company Aiwa. I was in Japan for several weeks and the Japanese had the most amazing influence on me and now I run all my business along Japanese lines. Managers sit with the rest of the staff when they are having lunch. The staff call me Trevor and I dress like them on purpose - in jeans and T-shirt. Whenever somebody starts working for me I sit them down and say: "This is the way that we've traditionally done things but you are paid to find a better way if one exists." In fact it actually says in their contracts: "You are paid not to agree with me, but to disagree with me. The day you agree with me is quite likely the day that you will be fired'!"
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...