Saturday 22 October 1994
The door to the National Maritime Museum, venue for the exhibition, opened precisely at noon. I was still waiting 40 minutes later. Winter opening times on Sundays have been reduced to five hours, and consequently the queue for admission to this fascinating exhibition is even longer than the line for the lavatory on a Russian train.
So I phoned a few overseas attractions to see if they, too, restrict Sunday visitors to a mean 300 minutes. The Pompidou Centre in Paris opens at 10am, and stays that way for 12 hours. New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art manages a 50 per cent improvement on the Titanic exhibition, while the Empire State Building opens its doors 14 hours a day. Even the Ministry of the Interior Museum in Havana opens for seven hours on Sundays (and charges one-third the price of the Titanic exhibition).
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Green village to be bulldozed and mined for lignite in Germany's quest for non-nuclear fuel
- 2 HeForShe campaign: Iceland to follow up Emma Watson speech with UN women's rights conference – for men only
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Teenagers irritable because early school hours mess with their biological clocks
- 5 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
- < Previous
- Next >
28,000 to 32,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our client, a hospitality busi...
18,000 to 20,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our fantastic leisure client i...
£20 - 24k: Guru Careers: A Marketing Analyst / Marketing Executive is needed t...
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...