50 best beaches in the world
Wednesday 13 June 2001
If life isn't exactly a beach at the moment, why not improve matters? Pack up your bucket and spade and head for some of the world's finest shores.
Charlotte Packer and her panel of experts will help you get the sand between your toes
Pick and click for details
Abel Tasman National Park, New Zealand.
Mackenzie's Bay, Australia.
Fraser Island, Australia.
Bondi Beach, Australia.
Marovo, Solomon Islands.
Wineglass Bay, Tasmania
Dead Sea, Israel
Durdle Door, Dorset.
Alum Bay, Isle of Wight.
Holkham Bay, Norfolk.
Rhossili Bay, Wales.
Portrush, Co Antrim.
West Sands, Scotland.
Reighton Sands, Yorkshire.
Bossiney Haven, nr Tintagel
Traigh Stir, Scotland.
Woolacombe Sands, Devon
Fistral Bay, Newquay
Sandalwood Bay, Scotland.
Porthcurno Bay, Cornwall
NB: Details were checked at the time of going to press but are liable to change.
- 1 Pope Francis: Being an atheist is alright as long as you do good
- 2 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 3 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 4 Archaeologists uncover nearly 5,000 cave paintings in Burgos, Mexico
- 5 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.