Another US airline promises WiFi, but Europe is slow to start
Alaska Airlines has become the latest US airline to install in-flight WiFi onboard its fleet.
The airline launched the service in six aircraft May 18, promising to outfit its entire fleet with the technology by the end of 2010.
As an introductory offer, the inflight WiFi will be free of charge onboard until July 31, 2010 for customers to test the service.
After the free period, the cellular network-based service will charge from $4.95 per flight and up, based on length of flight and device used.
Alaska joined Southwest in rolling out onboard WiFi across its entire fleet, something that other US carriers such as Delta, United, AirTran and Virgin America are now embracing.
In Europe, however, inflight communications have been slower to take off - in March, budget carrier Ryanair was forced to put its inflight cellphone program on hold after only a year following problems with its telecommunications supplier.
Earlier this year, Oman Air became the first airline to offer mobile phone service and broadband internet on a long-haul flight.
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£26400 - £36000 per annum: Randstad Education Maidstone: An Independant school...
£22k-£25k + comm + benefits: Blue Travel Solutions: LOOKING FOR A CAREER IN TH...
£26k-£29k + excellent comm: Blue Travel Solutions: We have a high-end luxury t...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + (£15K + Uncapped Commission & Benefits): Flight Ce...