Arrivals & departures: Surfing in Kerala, India
Catch waves in style when the region's first surf hotel opens in October
Saturday 24 August 2013
We've been punished by our puny pound for too long – the euro and dollar are making it increasingly expensive for us to travel. But pity the poor rupee, which fell to an all-time low this week. Still, it does mean that you can now buy about 99 of them for £1, compared to a measly 80 just a year ago. That makes travelling to India an even more enticing prospect.
So, where to spend it? Kerala is a dreamy destination at any time, but there'll soon be another reason to visit this southern state of gentle backwaters, swaying palms and coconut-laced cuisine. Soul & Surf, the region's first surf hotel, opens in October within a heritage house in the resort of Varkala. It will have 15 rooms, a Soul Food Café and ISA-qualified surf school, plus yoga sessions overlooking the Arabian Sea.
From £185pp per week with B&B and daily surf guiding. Daily yoga and surf lessons start at £130pp per week (soulandsurf.com).
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 George Galloway attacked on Notting Hill street by man 'shouting about the holocaust'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...