Arrivals & departures: Surfing in Kerala, India
Catch waves in style when the region's first surf hotel opens in October
Saturday 24 August 2013
We've been punished by our puny pound for too long – the euro and dollar are making it increasingly expensive for us to travel. But pity the poor rupee, which fell to an all-time low this week. Still, it does mean that you can now buy about 99 of them for £1, compared to a measly 80 just a year ago. That makes travelling to India an even more enticing prospect.
So, where to spend it? Kerala is a dreamy destination at any time, but there'll soon be another reason to visit this southern state of gentle backwaters, swaying palms and coconut-laced cuisine. Soul & Surf, the region's first surf hotel, opens in October within a heritage house in the resort of Varkala. It will have 15 rooms, a Soul Food Café and ISA-qualified surf school, plus yoga sessions overlooking the Arabian Sea.
From £185pp per week with B&B and daily surf guiding. Daily yoga and surf lessons start at £130pp per week (soulandsurf.com).
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...