Aviation posters: Selling the skies
A new collection portrays the changing face of flying. Simon Calder picks his favourites
Simon Calder is Travel Editor at Large for The Independent, writing a weekly column, various articles and features as well as filming a weekly video diary. Every Sunday afternoon, Simon presents the UK's only radio travel phone-in programme called The LBC Travel Show with Simon Calder (97.3 FM). He is a regular guest on national TV, often seen on BBC Breakfast, Daybreak, ITV News and Sky News. He is often interviewed on BBC Radio, particularly for BBC Radio 4’s You & Yours programme and BBC Five Live.
Sunday 15 July 2012
For the first six or seven decades of powered flight, aviation was the preserve of the brave, the reckless and the rich – and usually glamorous – few. Passengers paid a fortune to fly slowly and dangerously around the world. Yet through the prism of 21st-century aviation, many travellers look fondly back at what is seen as the "golden age of flying". A new collection of British aviation posters shows the way we (or rather they) travelled. These are some of the finest.
'British Aviation Posters: Art, Design and Flight' is published by Lund Humphries in association with British Airways (£35). You can also see some of the original artworks at BA's Speedbird Centre near Heathrow
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Cruise Ship Seasonal W...