Bank holiday walkout for Stansted
Tuesday 22 May 2012
Baggage handlers at Stansted have announced a strike during the jubilee bank holiday.
Members of the GMB union voted for a series of walk-outs at the Essex airport beginning tomorrow and culminating in a four-day stoppage over the long weekend from 2 to 5 June.
Airport management and the handling company, Swissport, say they expect no disruption. But Ryanair has warned that passengers will not be allowed to check in bags to or from the airport on strike days.
The strike is about changes to staffing rotas announced by Swissport, which the union said would force each employee to work about a dozen extra days a year and lose up to £1,000 in earnings.
Stoppages will take place tomorrow, next weekend, and throughout the jubilee holiday.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 iOS 8 apps and features: eight iPhone settings you need to look at after you install the update
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 4 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 5 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
£50 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Affiliate Marketing Manager / Affiliate Mana...
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...