Bank holiday walkout for Stansted
Tuesday 22 May 2012
Baggage handlers at Stansted have announced a strike during the jubilee bank holiday.
Members of the GMB union voted for a series of walk-outs at the Essex airport beginning tomorrow and culminating in a four-day stoppage over the long weekend from 2 to 5 June.
Airport management and the handling company, Swissport, say they expect no disruption. But Ryanair has warned that passengers will not be allowed to check in bags to or from the airport on strike days.
The strike is about changes to staffing rotas announced by Swissport, which the union said would force each employee to work about a dozen extra days a year and lose up to £1,000 in earnings.
Stoppages will take place tomorrow, next weekend, and throughout the jubilee holiday.
- 1 Disabled people are trapped in assessment 'nightmare' by PIP benefits regime, says Dr Stephen Duckworth
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Queen turns 88: David Bailey captures another side of the Queen in birthday portrait
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
'Sinful': Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy comes under attack
An open letter to Nigel Farage: you may smile, but I am not seduced
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Abdullah Deghayes: My son was the martyr of a just cause, says father of British teenager killed in Syria conflict
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...