Bank holiday walkout for Stansted
Tuesday 22 May 2012
Baggage handlers at Stansted have announced a strike during the jubilee bank holiday.
Members of the GMB union voted for a series of walk-outs at the Essex airport beginning tomorrow and culminating in a four-day stoppage over the long weekend from 2 to 5 June.
Airport management and the handling company, Swissport, say they expect no disruption. But Ryanair has warned that passengers will not be allowed to check in bags to or from the airport on strike days.
The strike is about changes to staffing rotas announced by Swissport, which the union said would force each employee to work about a dozen extra days a year and lose up to £1,000 in earnings.
Stoppages will take place tomorrow, next weekend, and throughout the jubilee holiday.
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Tottenham to smash pay scale with £150,000-a-week contract in attempt to tie Gareth Bale to club
- 3 Austerity has hardened the nation's heart
- 4 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 5 Why Arsène Wenger must spend to put icing on the cake and buy likes of Stevan Jovetic for Arsenal
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£450 - £500 per annum: Progressive Recruitment: BI Developer (SQL Server 2008,...
£26400 - £36000 per annum: Randstad Education Maidstone: An Independant school...
£22k-£25k + comm + benefits: Blue Travel Solutions: LOOKING FOR A CAREER IN TH...
£26k-£29k + excellent comm: Blue Travel Solutions: We have a high-end luxury t...