Berlin attracts record number of visitors
Friday 17 December 2010
Berlin has attracted a record number of visitors in 2010, with nine million people coming to the German capital, almost doubled the number a decade ago, the city's tourism board said Thursday.
Twenty-one years after the fall of the Berlin Wall separating communist East Berlin from capitalist West Berlin, more than 20 million nights in hotel rooms were booked, compared with 11.5 million in 2000.
"No other European city has developed so dynamically over recent years. This puts Berlin among the big winners in city tourism," Mayor Klaus Wowereit said.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...