Brunei airport to undergo major redevelopment: official
The oil-rich kingdom of Brunei will undertake a major redevelopment of its airport at a cost of about 111 million dollars over the next three years, an official said Thursday.
The project will focus on improving passenger convenience and boosting baggage security, said Julian Fung, assistant chief executive officer and head of infrastructure development of Brunei Economic Development Board.
Since its opening in 1974 the airport has been upgraded twice, in the mid-1980s and in 2000.
The current upgrade is part of Brunei's plans to flag itself as an aviation hub on Borneo island, where the tiny kingdom is located.
Brunei International Airport is currently capable of handling 2.2 million passengers and 50,000 tonnes of cargo a year.
Fung said Singapore's Changi Airport International had been selected as the consultant for the expansion and upgrading project.
"We intend to proceed to tender within three to four months. The project will be between 24 to 36 months (for completion)," he said in a statement.
Brunei's national carrier, Royal Brunei Airlines, is the main carrier using the airport, which is also used by Singapore Airlines and Malaysia Airlines.
Fung said budget carriers like Air Asia and Tiger Airways had also recently been given approval to fly into Brunei's airport.
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working on international markets without ge...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...