Consumer travel rights: volcanic eruption
Thursday 15 April 2010
Thousands of passengers have been left stranded after significant flight disruptions in the UK and Scandinavia.
For travelers, the disruption comes as more bad news in a year that has already seen widespread cancellations and delays due to snow. However, consumer rights group Which? says that passengers in Europe should not lose out altogether.
"Affected passengers are being offered a choice of a full refund or transfer on to another flight," said Rochelle Turner, Head of Research for Which? Holiday. "But, the airlines don't have to compensate passengers for loss of any additional elements to holidays, such as accommodation and car hire."
So, affected travelers will need to check with their individual insurer to see if they are covered for further expenses that airlines will not reimburse them for. ABTA, which represents the major travel companies in the UK and Europe, is advising passengers intending to fly Thursday to contact their travel provider or airline to discuss their travel arrangements.
Under European Union regulations, if a flight is cancelled consumers can:
• Cancel their booking and receive a refund of the unused ticket, and for the part of the journey already made if the delay means the flight no longer serves any purpose in relation to your original travel plans. Where relevant if the passenger has already completed one or more segments of the flight they should be offered a return flight to the first point of departure at the earliest opportunity.
• Take an alternative flight, under comparable transport conditions, to the final destination, where seats are available, at the earliest opportunity.
• Take an alternative flight to the destination, under comparable transport conditions and where seats are available, at a later date.
If the flight is part of a "package holiday" the cancellation could amount to a "significant alteration" to the package. Whether it does depends on how much later the alternative flight offered leaves. If the alteration is significant and passengers are not happy to go ahead with the holiday, the consumer would be entitled to a refund of the full cost of the package and not the flights.
More information available from:
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 Q&A: What do we know about what happened?
Ljubljana: Capital idea for a spring break
In pictures: The beauty of Hong Kong
Justice for Britain's former slave colonies? Caribbean leaders to ask the UK for apologies, repatriation and debt cancellation
Malaysia Airlines MH370: the missing aircraft, and what investigators will be looking for
- 1 Watch: The student election Macklemore parody that isn't completely awful - and all the others that are
- 2 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 3 First Kiss: Filmmaker gets 20 strangers to make out on YouTube with awkward results
- 4 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government
- 5 Ian Wright breaks down in ITV documentary charting his rise to England and Arsenal striker
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: Opportunity for a B...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: We're looking for t...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Flight Centre Bus...
£16000 - £27000 per annum + Commission + Award-Winning Benefits): Flight Centr...