Cruise Report: More overnight stops could lure passengers back to ships
Sunday 26 February 2012
Overnight, the Costa Concordia disaster shattered the image of the most durably successful travel sector. The giant ship belonging to the world's biggest cruise firm, Carnival, struck a rock on 13 January. By dawn the next day, more than 30 passengers and crew had died. The big question for the cruise industry is: has that tragedy put off some potential customers for life?
Before the sinking, the Passenger Shipping Association projected that 1.73 million British travellers would take a cruise this year – nearly a million more than 10 years ago. In the immediate aftermath of the sinking, Carnival Corporation – the world's largest cruise company with 100 ships across 10 fleets – and Royal Caribbean, the second largest, both reported a decline in bookings of about one-sixth.
However, assuming you are prepared to be reassured about the safety aspects of cruising, boarding a ship could be the cost-effective way to enjoy the nightlife of Europe's liveliest cities. Staying in ports overnight was once only for small luxury lines such as Silversea (0808 134 1792; silversea. com), Seabourn (0845 070 0500; seabourn.com) and SeaDream (0800 783 1373; seadream.com). Most bigger ships departed at 6pm at the latest.
SeaDream's ex-CEO and co-owner Larry Pimentel took his “port immersive” philosophy with him when he moved to Azamara's fleet of two mid-size ships in 2010, saying it was crazy to sail away in the afternoon – “denying those more cerebral guests the opportunity for any in-depth exploration”.
This year, the two Crystal ships (020-7287 9040; crystalcruises.co.uk) have increased overnight stays, and most voyages include a two-day call. Alternatively, try one of these:
* A voyage from Southampton to Lisbon aboard Azamara Journey. There are stays in Bordeaux, St-Jean-de-Luz and, on arrival in Pasejas, you can go to San Sebastian, six miles away before sailing at 2am. In Bilbao, you can linger in the Guggenheim until it closes at 8pm because departure is at 10pm. From £1,999 per person with flights, 11 nights on board with wine with meals. Departure is on 9 August. (0844 493 4016; azamaraclubcruises.co.uk)
* A 12-night cruise of the eastern Med aboard Holland America Line's Nieuw Amsterdam has overnight stays in Venice and Istanbul. The cost with flights is from £1,589 per person for a 30 April departure (0845 351 0557; hollandamerica.co.uk).
* On a week's round trip from Genoa, you can go clubbing in Ibiza; MSC Sinfonia doesn't sail away until 2am. Weekly departures (May to October) cost from £599 per person, cruise only (0844 5611955; msccruises.co.uk).
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 2 Scarlett Johansson new band 'already hit with legal complaint' from another The Singles
- 3 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 5 'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
The 50 Best spas
Map identifies the best and worst places for emergency healthcare in the world
The Atlas of Beauty: Photographer travels around the world to capture cultural diversity through stunning portraits of women
Friends 20th anniversary: Where to visit as a superfan in New York
The 10 Best lightweight luggage
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...