Cruising: New riverboat guide to who's on the top deck
Sunday 31 August 2014
A river cruise offers a relaxing alternative to a driving tour of Europe. No hunt for hotels or dilemmas about where to eat. Even sightseeing is easy, with most cruises offering guided tours. But, having chosen your river, how do you decide between the vessels vying to get you on board?
So far, there is no official star rating for riverships. But a new guide, 2014 Berlitz Rivers (£14.99) will help make the choice less daunting. Its author, cruise expert Douglas Ward, has focused his critical eyes on 280 riverships, awarding points out of 100 in five categories: the condition and quality of the vessel, accommodation, cuisine, service and "miscellaneous" covering such topics as accuracy of brochure and standard of entertainment. Points are then converted to star ratings from one to five.
Top rivership, with an overall score of 422 out of 500, and the highest marks for food and service, is AmaPrima, launched last year, with itineraries that include rivers in the Netherlands, eastern and central Europe. Judged by Ward to have "outstanding cuisine and high standards, an extremely comfortable vessel," it also has a heated pool, cabins with double balconies and a speciality restaurant with open kitchen – yet it still doesn't make five stars, rated at only four star-plus.
Ward says: "Part of the purpose of the guide is to encourage operators to raise their game."
Eighteen riverships of the Viking line were top of the four-star category, all scoring just under 400 points for "stylish, minimalist Scandinavian decor and very good excursions, but the menus need to be more creative".
Ward points out that even the lowest-scoring vessel in the guide – two-star, 100-year-old Anna Maria Agnes which scored 192 out of 500 – has its merits: "A really charming, vintage vessel. The food is surprisingly good considering the cramped galley."
* A seven-night "Romantic Danube" cruise aboard AmaPrima (0808 256 8422; amawaterways.co.uk) sailing from Vilshoven to Budapest, from this Monday, costs from £2,199pp including flights, excursions and wine with lunch and dinner.
* Viking (020 8780 7995; vikingcruises.co.uk) offers seven-night "Rhine Discovery" cruises from Amsterdam to Basel, with departures from March to December 2015. Prices, from £1,445pp, include travel from UK, excursions and wine with meals.
* A one-week cycling cruise around southern Holland aboard Anna Maria Agnes, departing 11 October, costs from €499 (£397), excluding travel to Amsterdam and bike rental (€60/£48). Book with Boat Bike Tours (00 31 299 313071; boatbiketours.com).
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 3 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway in dense fog
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 The majority of sex workers enjoy their job - why should we find that surprising?
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world
The Atlas of Beauty: Photographer travels around the world to capture cultural diversity through stunning portraits of women
The 10 Best lightweight luggage
The 10 Best hiking boots
Singapore named the most expensive city in the world for second year running
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin
£17000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to the consistent growth of...
£18000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity exists for an ex...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity exists for an ou...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...