Cyprus sees 43% rise in April tourist arrivals
Tuesday 17 May 2011
The number of tourist arrivals to Cyprus jumped by 43 percent in April compared with last year, an indication of what could be a bumper summer for the economy, the government's statistical service said Monday.
The sharp jump was led by a rise in tourists from Britain, Russia and Germany, the figures released by the service showed.
A total of 199,762 tourists visited Cyprus in April against 139,658 in the same month last year, "making it the largest monthly rise in several years," the statistical service said.
It said tourist arrivals for the first four months to April rose 17.6 percent from last year to 405,463.
This spike in April was triggered by a sizeable 29.1 percent jump in British tourists numbering 80,998.
The data showed the number of British visitors during the first four months to April too was up by 2.8 percent over the same period last year.
April also saw a hike of 74 percent in Russian tourists numbering 18,987 and a 30.8 percent rise in German arrivals also numbering 18,987.
The number of holidaymakers visiting Cyprus had hit a high of 2.69 million in 2001. Income from tourism accounts for nearly 12 percent of Cyprus's gross domestic product.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 3 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 4 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert
- 5 Joanna Lumley’s garden bridge over the Thames gets £30m seal of approval from Government
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...