Flying high in the world's aviation museums
Saturday 07 August 2010
The air show season is now well and truly underway, with Canada's Abbotsford Airshow kicking off August 13 and Europe's Tankosh festival scheduled to start August 27.
For those that prefer looking at planes on the ground rather in the sky, however, travel advice site TripAdvisor has put together its top list of aviation attractions in the US.
Topping the list, unsurprisingly, is the National Air and Space Museum in DC, the largest collection of historic air and spacecraft in the world.
For the full list, see below, but global destinations not covered in the list that deserve an honorable mention include:
- Duxford Imperial War Museum, Duxford, UK, which will hold a "Battle of Britain Air Show" September 4 -5 - http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/
- Technik Museum, Speyer, Germany, the only place in the world where visitors can see the supersonic Concorde and Russian built "Concordeski" Tupolev Tu-144 in the same place http://speyer.technik-museum.de/en
- French Air and Space Museum, Le Bourget, Paris, France, one of the world's oldest aviation museums (and home of the Paris Air Show on alternate years) http://www.museeairespace.fr/
- China Aviation Museum, Datangshan, China, Asia's largest aviation museum http://www.chn-am.com/
Central Air Force Museum, Monino, Russia, Russia's largest aviation museum (and one of the largest in the world) http://www.monino.ru/
America's Top 10 Aviation Attractions
Selected by TripAdvisor
1. National Air and Space Museum, Washington, D.C.?
2. Intrepid Sea, Air, & Space Museum, New York, New York?
3. Wright Brothers National Memorial, Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina?
4. National Naval Aviation Museum, Pensacola, Florida
5. Museum of Flight, Seattle, Washington
6. Pima Air & Space Museum, Tucson, Arizona
7. Boeing Aircraft Factory Tour, Everett, Washington?
8. Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor, Honolulu, Hawaii
9. Gravelly Point Park, Arlington, Virginia?
10. Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum, McMinnville, Oregon
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Reader dilemma: 'Our son is 34 with an IQ of 85, and spends all his time in his room. What will happen to him when we're no longer here?'
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 Russian officials ban yoga because it's too much like a religious cult
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 Ginger Pride festival to take place next summer, organisers say 'time of bullying gingers is over'
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...
£39,000: ICE ICT: Specific and detailed knowledge and experience of travel sys...