Flying high in the world's aviation museums
Saturday 07 August 2010
The air show season is now well and truly underway, with Canada's Abbotsford Airshow kicking off August 13 and Europe's Tankosh festival scheduled to start August 27.
For those that prefer looking at planes on the ground rather in the sky, however, travel advice site TripAdvisor has put together its top list of aviation attractions in the US.
Topping the list, unsurprisingly, is the National Air and Space Museum in DC, the largest collection of historic air and spacecraft in the world.
For the full list, see below, but global destinations not covered in the list that deserve an honorable mention include:
- Duxford Imperial War Museum, Duxford, UK, which will hold a "Battle of Britain Air Show" September 4 -5 - http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/
- Technik Museum, Speyer, Germany, the only place in the world where visitors can see the supersonic Concorde and Russian built "Concordeski" Tupolev Tu-144 in the same place http://speyer.technik-museum.de/en
- French Air and Space Museum, Le Bourget, Paris, France, one of the world's oldest aviation museums (and home of the Paris Air Show on alternate years) http://www.museeairespace.fr/
- China Aviation Museum, Datangshan, China, Asia's largest aviation museum http://www.chn-am.com/
Central Air Force Museum, Monino, Russia, Russia's largest aviation museum (and one of the largest in the world) http://www.monino.ru/
America's Top 10 Aviation Attractions
Selected by TripAdvisor
1. National Air and Space Museum, Washington, D.C.?
2. Intrepid Sea, Air, & Space Museum, New York, New York?
3. Wright Brothers National Memorial, Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina?
4. National Naval Aviation Museum, Pensacola, Florida
5. Museum of Flight, Seattle, Washington
6. Pima Air & Space Museum, Tucson, Arizona
7. Boeing Aircraft Factory Tour, Everett, Washington?
8. Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor, Honolulu, Hawaii
9. Gravelly Point Park, Arlington, Virginia?
10. Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum, McMinnville, Oregon
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin wedding: a look at the Aman Canal Grande Hotel in Venice
Sydney airport evacuated because man was staring at his iPad
J'adore l'amour: The most romantic cities in the world
Is it safe to holiday in Turkey?
George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin wedding: why Marrakech charms as a honeymoon destination
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered...
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 35,000 walrus gather ashore on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Benefits 'smart cards' plan revealed by Iain Duncan Smith to stop claimants spending welfare money on alcohol
- < Previous
- Next >
30,000 to 35,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: We are currently recruiting on...
28,000 to 32,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our client, a hospitality busi...
18,000 to 20,000 per annum: Accountancy Action: Our fantastic leisure client i...
£20 - 24k: Guru Careers: A Marketing Analyst / Marketing Executive is needed t...