French strike threat to Eurotunnel
Channel Tunnel shuttle train services run by Eurotunnel are facing the threat of strike action by French unions over the bank holiday weekend.
Eurotunnel said it was not taking further bookings for Calais to Folkestone journeys for Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday Monday.
But the company said it still hoped to run a full service over the weekend.
Eurotunnel said the French workers were demanding an 8% pay rise and were threatening to strike from Saturday.
A company spokesman said: "We have suspended Folkestone to Calais bookings in order to protect the bookings we already have and we fully expect to carry on as normal."
Eurotunnel added that it was taking all steps to mitigate any disruption. It was ensuring that British train drivers were available and was also looking at the possibility of sending British staff to man the terminal in France if necessary.
- 1 British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 2 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 3 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Mourinho will be a reunion that can only end in tears
- 4 Civil partnerships amendment 'could wreck' gay marriage Bill, Government sources warn
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£26400 - £36000 per annum: Randstad Education Maidstone: An Independant school...
£22k-£25k + comm + benefits: Blue Travel Solutions: LOOKING FOR A CAREER IN TH...
£26k-£29k + excellent comm: Blue Travel Solutions: We have a high-end luxury t...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + (£15K + Uncapped Commission & Benefits): Flight Ce...