Lady Gaga to perform at gay pride event
Monday 06 June 2011
Lady Gaga will perform at a major gay pride festival taking place in Rome this weekend, organisers announced on Monday.
The US singer will appear at the city's Circus Maximus on Saturday at the close of EuroPride 2011, hosted this year by the Italian capital.
"Following an invite by the committee, Lady Gaga has decided to take part in EuroPride, confirming her support for the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community," organisers said in a statement.
The 25-year-old performer, ranked this year's most powerful celebrity by Forbes magazine, is a vocal advocate of gay rights.
Last year she spoke out against the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy in the US military which forces gay servicemen and women to keep their sexuality secret or face dismissal.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...