'Laser attacks' on planes increase
Thursday 12 April 2012
Aviation officials have warned of a surge in the number of laser attacks on planes after nearly 2,000 such incidents were reported in the UK last year.
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) revealed that a total of 1,909 incidents in which lasers were deliberately aimed towards aircraft occurred in 2011, compared with 20 in 2005.
"It's a serious problem and has been getting worse over the last three years largely due to the availability of lasers on the internet," a spokesman said.
Heathrow was the worst affected, with 153 incidents.
The 50 Best spas
Simon Calder: Until this disaster South Korea's ferry safety record fared well compared to its Asian neighbours
Heavenly hotels, history and high-drama scenery in Dubrovnik, Croatia's Adriatic jewel
The 10 Best hiking boots
Where to go on holiday 2014: These are the top 10 destinations that everyone will be talking about this summer
- 1 KFC 'sorry' after lesbian couple are kicked out of Bath restaurant for 'heavy petting'
- 2 West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker Dylan Tombides has died after battle with cancer
- 3 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 4 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 5 PFA Player of the Year: Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge and Steven Gerrard all nominated as Liverpool dominate award shortlist
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...