London hotels begin Olympic price hike: FT
Tuesday 15 March 2011
Hotels in London have begun raising their room prices for next year's Olympic Games, with one establishment hiking up their tariffs fivefold, the Financial Times reported Monday.
One four-star hotel quoted an unnamed wholesale trip operator 1,100 pounds (1,1750 dollars, 1,150 euros) for a room which would normally be charged at 200 pounds, the paper claimed.
On top of the rate increase, many hotels are implementing harsh conditions on room reservations, including in one instance a 100 percent cancellation fee over the period of the Games, according to the FT.
"Hotels appear to be gripped by a frenzy of greed," said Mario Bodini, general secretary of tour business trade body, UKinbound.
The 2012 Olympics will run from July 27 till August 12, with the Paralympics to follow.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Apple has installed security backdoors on 600m iPhones and iPads, claims security researcher
- 2 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 3 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 4 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 5 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash: 'Nine Britons, 23 Americans and 80 children' feared dead after Boeing passenger jet is 'shot down' near Ukraine-Russia border
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...