New Horizons: Upmarket to Tenerife
Arrivals & departures
Saturday 16 March 2013
Do we really need more flights to Tenerife? They don't seem all that vital: Ryanair flies there from 10 British airports, while easyJet, Monarch, Jet2.com, Thomas Cook Airlines and Thomson Airways are also happy to transport you. But what do these carriers have in common? Or rather, what do they all lack? Yes, that's it: business class.
Gatwick-based GB Airways used to fly to the Canaries on behalf of British Airways, but when it was sold to easyJet in 2008, it became impossible to fly posh on a non-stop scheduled aircraft to this holiday spot. However, on Easter Sunday, BA starts a five-times-a-week service from Gatwick, with Club Europe seats. Is this a gap in the market? Time will tell, but away from the bustle of Playa de Las Americas, the quiet north-coast town of Garachico caters for the smart set, with lava pools and hiking on the slopes of Mount Teide.
Five nights at the Hotel San Roque, Garachico, with Club Europe seats, from £919pp (0844 493 0758; ba.com/tenerife).
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.