New system to return lost items debuts... in Bermuda
Monday 26 July 2010
A new system designed to virtually reunite people with their lost luggage has made its debut in Bermuda.
Situated ironically close to the world famous Bermuda triangle - well known for causing disappearances of its own - the new kiosk at LF Wade International Airport Bermuda is designed to assist passengers who have lost their luggage by allowing them to see where it is by scanning the tag provided at check-in.
If the bag doesn't appear on the carousel, customers can report it missing without seeing a member of staff or needing to fill out any forms, greatly reducing the amount of time they need to spend hanging around the airport.
They can then follow the progress of their missing luggage on a website, by phone or or their mobile phone.
SITA, the firm which makes the WorldTracer kiosk, plans to roll out the kiosks across the US later this year.
According to statistics from the US Department of Transportation, there were nearly four cases of mishandled baggage for every 1000 US passengers in 2009, with SITA claiming that globally, 25 million bags were mishandled.
Top tips for avoiding lost luggage:
- Label your bags clearly (inside as well, if possible), with sturdy luggage tags (not paper ones handed out at the airport)
- Include a copy of your flight plans in case the label gets torn off
- Take a photo of your bag before leaving in case you need to describe it
- Tear off old tags that could confuse baggage handlers
- Be noticeable - if you can bear it, have a bright bag
- Don't overpack
- Don't throw away your luggage receipt!
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Did jetliner fly into area controlled by Taliban? Net widens after claims final satellite signal could have been sent from the ground
- 4 Nasa-funded study warns of ‘collapse of civilisation’ in coming decades
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Flight Centre Limited: Exceptional opportunity for ...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Exc...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: Opportunity for a B...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: We're looking for t...