Ryanair to cut airport services
Ryanair is to cut services at Shannon Airport with the loss of 100 jobs, it was announced today.
The budget airline's chief Michael O'Leary blamed the Government's €10 travel tax for a fall in passenger numbers in the west claiming the knock-on effect could see another 700 support staff axed.
The Ryanair boss said he had no choice but to reduce aircraft, routes and flights from the end of March.
The airline estimates the region will lose 700,000 passengers and as a result of the massive drop in business more than 100 Ryanair positions will be transferred to other bases.
Mr O'Leary branded the airport tax "tourism suicide" and called on the Government to scrap the charge.
"This Government's decision to impose a travel tax of more than 100 per cent on these price sensitive visitors is insane and simply tourism suicide," he said.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Reader dilemma: 'My boyfriend jokes about putting photos of us having sex on Facebook'
- 2 Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta clashes with President Obama on LGBT equality: ‘Gay rights is really a non-issue’
- 3 37-year-old black woman found dead in police custody
- 4 Kanye West praises Caitlyn Jenner on I Am Cait: 'You couldn't have been up against more'
- 5 Five-year-old boy forced classmate to simulate oral sex at primary school, claims mother
The 9 charts that show the 'left-wing' policies of Jeremy Corbyn the public actually agrees with
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
What the Labour party could look like under Jeremy Corbyn
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
£12500 - £24500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Drivers wanted for a family run...
£40000 - £45000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A successful leisure company is seek...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: The positions above are available either part ...
£25K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Fitness Centre Supervisor / Duty Manager ...