We are currently trialling our new-look independent.co.uk website - please send any feedback to beta@independent.co.uk

News & Advice

Sharm el Sheikh resort bug 'leaves 100 British tourists bed-ridden' and many on a drip

Angry holidaymakers took to review site TripAdvisor to express their disgust

Up to 100 British tourists staying at a four-star resort in Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt, have endured a holiday from hell after a sickness bug struck leaving some of them so ill they were put on intravenous drips in their hotel rooms.

Angry holidaymakers took to review site TripAdvisor to express their disgust after suffering from diarrhoea, sickness and fever at the Coral Sea Waterworld resort. A number of the tourists blamed the bug on what they described as unclean buffet food containers and utensils and an alleged poor standard of general hygiene.

Writing on TripAdvisor one reviewer, calling themselves, tim308, wrote: "Just as I was recovering from my illness when my wife was struck down with one far worse, sickness, diarrhoea, stomach cramps and fever that continued for the duration of our holiday and is still not 100% now."

Another, calling themselves 'Bristols' wrote: "Sickness and diarrhoea was rife throughout the hotel, seven out of our party of nine were really poorly including myself.I became ill on the second night and was unable to eat, drink, use the pools or waterpark for the whole holiday.

"I had two drips, injections, antibiotics, tablets coming out of my ears."

Another user, LynneNorman, wrote: "The food was good at times, but the hygiene in the restaurant was poor."

"Like many others, we all came down with the mystery illness very quickly and we spent a lot of time in our room with crippling cramps and fever."

Another, Elaine M, said: “My husband started vomiting and having diarrhoea and subsequently later on that day I also became very ill with sickness and diarrhoea like I’ve never had it before. There is a major cleanliness/hygiene issue. We won’t be back.”

According to reports, the illness struck so quickly that the resort was forced to draft in extra doctors in order to cope with the outbreak.

Lawyer Nick Harris, of Simpson Millar, who is acting for a number of the tourists told the Daily Mirror: “I have been inundated with people contacting me about ruined holidays. Some of the reports I have heard are horrific."

A statement from First Choice Holidays said: "First Choice is aware of a small number of cases of sickness at the Coral Sea Water World, Egypt, with symptoms similar to a virus.

"Reported cases of sickness have reduced and an independent health and safety consultant has been undertaking a thorough investigation in resort, ensuring that the correct containment procedures are in place.

"We would like to reassure customers that we closely audit all the resorts to which we operate to ensure that health, hygiene and comfort levels are maintained."

The illness struck at the same resort where five-year-old Chloe Johnson, from Forest Hill, southeast London, drowned in one of the swimming pools in 2013.

Staff at Coral Sea Water World had not responded to Independent requests for comment by the time of publication.