Snow brings M6 to stand still while flooding hits other areas of Britain
Heavy snow has closed the M6 motorway in both directions after lorries jacknifed across carriageways while flooding in other areas of the country has led to various traffic problems.
The M6 is closed between southbound between junction 27 at Wigan and junction 25 following a severe snow storm, while the northbound carriageway is also reported to be closed.
North Yorkshire Fire Service said a couple had to be rescued from a snow drift on the Yorkshire Moors.
It was not only roads affected as Manchester Airport was forced to close its runway for over an hour while crews worked to clear it of snow. Flights in and out of Leeds Bradford Airport were also suspended.
The Met Office has issued 12 amber warnings from the Midlands up to central England, and the public are urged to prepare for likely disruption caused by heavy snow.
As snow begins to melt in other areas across the UK and heavy rain begins to set in, weather experts have warned about flooding.
Southwest Wales is one of the first regions to be hit, with emergency services responding to a rise in calls as roads and properties become flooded. The M5 is also reportedly flooded between junction 25 at Taunton and junction 26.
The Environment Agency has issued 18 flood warnings across the UK, mainly across Wales and the South West, while a further 74 areas have been told to be on alert for flooding.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Data Management & ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...