Stansted Easter strike called off
Tuesday 03 April 2012
Planned strikes by ground staff at Stansted Airport over Easter have been called off after peace talks.
Members of the GMB union had been due to walk out for four hours on Good Friday, Saturday and Easter Monday in a dispute over pay.
Union members employed by Swissport voted overwhelmingly for strike action after the GMB claimed they were facing cuts of up to £1,000 a year because of shift changes.
The union said that following talks with the company today, the strike had been suspended.
Swissport said in a statement: "We are pleased that passengers and families travelling over the Easter weekend will no longer face potential disruption.
"We will continue our talks in an attempt to reach a joint consensus that ensures we understand our commercial challenges and balance the need for the work life balance of our employees."
Further talks will be held later this month.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Christian blogger says she will not wear leggings in public because they entice men and cause them to look at her 'lustfully'
- 4 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...