Thai Airways and Singapore's Tiger to form budget carrier
Tuesday 03 August 2010
Singapore's budget carrier Tiger Airways and Thai Airways announced Monday plans for a low-cost airline expected to start operations next year, potentially hastening a shake-up in the region.
Thai Tiger Airways will fly domestic and international flights from Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok, starting in the first quarter of 2011, the two companies said.
Thai Airways and another Thai entity will hold 51 percent in the airline, with the remaining 49 percent under Tiger Airways.
Tiger Airways group chief executive Tony Davis said the new budget carrier's paid-up capital was around six million US dollars and details of the aircraft fleet would be announced once the operations plan has been finalised.
He said the joint venture would further spur the Singapore-based budget carrier's ambitions in the increasingly competitive Asian low-cost airline segment.
Around 45 low-fare airlines operate in the region, from Japan to Pakistan.
Many weathered the 2008-2009 global recession better than premium airlines, according to analysts.
In January, Jetstar, a no-frills affiliate of Australia's Qantas, picked Singapore as its Asian hub for both short- and long-haul flights.
Malaysia's AirAsia, Southeast Asia's leading budget carrier, has also been expanding. In April, it inked a deal to launch a low-cost carrier in Vietnam called VietJet AirAsia, making Vietnam its fourth country base after Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia.
Davis, the Tiger Airways CEO, said the alliance with Thai Airways would boost his company's Asian presence.
"We have always said that it was the strategic objective of Tiger Airways to become a pan-regional Asian carrier," Davis said in a media conference call.
"The key thing we are seeing at the moment is that demand for air travel is returning in a very robust way."
Thai Airways said the venture would also allow it to beef up its presence in the budget travel market.
"We believe that this move will provide revenue opportunities for Thai (Airways) and allow Thai to be more competitive in the region with the anticipated growth in the low cost market," said Thai Airways president Piyasvasti Amranand.
Analysts from the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation (CAPA) said the new budget carrier could potentially hasten a shake-up for the industry in the region, where some markets are still inhibited by entry barriers.
"The new joint venture... raises the bar in low cost airline operations competition in Asia and could have a major impact on the pace of airline liberalisation in the region," Sydney-based CAPA said in a commentary.
"There will be many more moves in this regional tapestry of low cost airline competition before the end game, but Tiger's announcement today should not be underestimated in scope."
Tiger Airways, partly owned by national carrier Singapore Airlines, flies to 37 destinations in 11 countries and has a fleet of 19 Airbus A320s, with plans to expand to 68 planes by December 2015.
Besides plying routes in Asia including to popular holidays spots such as Phuket, Tiger Airways has also expanded into Australia, where it offers domestic flights.
Publicly listed Tiger earned a net profit of 28.2 million Singapore dollars (20.85 US million) in the year ended March, a sharp turnaround from losses of 50.8 million dollars the previous fiscal period.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
Thailand tourism video Love En Route criticised for featuring Instagram stalker
The Atlas of Beauty: Photographer travels around the world to capture cultural diversity through stunning portraits of women
The 10 Best lightweight luggage
Chief executive of Malaysia Airlines: The toughest job in travel?
The 10 Best hiking boots
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...