The 10 Best self-catering essentials
1. Zippo Lighter
A lighter is a must. For lighting the gas hob, romantic dinner candles or just finding your way to the fuse box in a power cut, you'll almost certainly need one.
2. Casio LED travel clock
Travel clocks are pretty essential if you don't have a reception desk to wake you. This one is thin, palm-sized, has an adequately annoying alarm and a backlight.
3. Kuhn Rikon knife with holder
Knives in self-catering properties hardly cut butter, let alone meat. So take this carbon steel knife with a safety holder.
4. SKK detachable handle frying pan
This has a detachable handle, so it can collapse to a manageable size. And it's made of iron, so you can use it at home, too.
5. Acrylic case
You'll want some spices, salt and pepper with you on your trip. So get one of these acrylic jewellery cases and re-purpose it as a holder for all your seasonings.
6. Clip-on reading light
Make sure you've always got enough light for your bedtime reading with this LED lamp. Just clip it on to the top of the book, click the button and you're away.
7. Sewing kit
Slim as a post-holiday wallet yet full of thread, buttons, safety pins and needles, this sewing kit will see you through any mishaps with your skirt/dress/shirt/trousers.
8. Ickle Bockle
Ignore the silly name, these 100ml screw-top bottles are really useful. You can decant your favourite toiletries into them if you don't want to buy a travel kit.
9. John Lewis Waiter's Friend deluxe corkscrew
Don't spend your first evening searching for a corkscrew. This gadget also has a flip-top opener, foil cutter and mini knife.
10. Malin + Goetz Essentials Kit
This kit includes everything you need, all organic and chemical-free. And, at 29ml each, you can carry them in hand luggage.
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.