The 10 Best summer walking gear
Get kitted out for the summer
1. Gelert Serenity rucksack
Lightweight and snazzy, the Serenity rucksack is great for casual hikers. It has a 22l capacity, adjustable padded straps and an internal pocket to keep valuables.
2. Piz Buin Day Long lotion SPF 15 100ml
This non-greasy lotion provides 10 hours of protection (SPF 15) so you can put it on in the morning and be protected all day.
3. Muddy Tracks jacket
With this jacket you can survive the heat (breathable) and the rain (waterproof). It's got a back storage pocket and reflective prints for increased visibility.
4. Lifesystems Expedition Natural 40 Plus (100ml spray bottle)
Will keep you bite-free and, using lemon eucalyptus oils, this insect repellent smells better than most.
5. Women's Trespass hiking shorts
These fab shorts are made of a quick-drying material and use a protector that wicks away moisture and helps stains wash away.
6. Outdoor Research waterproof hat
Bat away the sun and showers with this waterproof hat, which uses the spirit of the sombrero to keep you cool and dry.
7. Camelbak Groove Tritan water bottle
This water bottle has a nifty carbon filter built into the straw so you can turn any tap water into fresh-tasting water on the go.
8. Havoc walking shoes
Walking books can feel something of a drag. The Havocs are a happy median: lightweight, support-giving walking shoes that are good for road and path.
9. Ecco Rough Men's Nubuck walkingsandals
Designed especially for men, these sandals have moulded soles to provide extra shock absorption and moisture-absorbent linings.
10. Rainpod jacket
The Gelert Rainpod jacket is one of the more stylish walking jackets. It's made of a soft-feel fabric with a hood and mesh-lined pockets and comes with its own pod bag.
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 4 Ingrid Loyau-Kennett, the mother-of-two hailed as a hero for confronting Woolwich attackers, thought: 'better me than a child'
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.