Transport of the future - introducing the Red Dot mobility winners
Friday 03 December 2010
Last week saw the prestigious Red Dot design concept award ceremony in Singapore, which highlights the best in conceptual design from around the world.
Over 12,000 concepts from 60 countries were entered in categories that ranged from "domestic aid" to "recreation," but some of the most exciting innovations were in the mobility category.
A total of 13 winners were showcased by the Red Dot, and although none of them won the overall design concept prize (which went to a new football design from Mexico, the CTRUS Football), they provide an exciting insight into the potential future of design.
Opel was showcased for its unique Flextreme GT/E concept car, which premiered in March this year at the Geneva Motor Show in Switzerland and features a unique "shape shifting" design that changes the car's form to reduce turbulence.
Audi's two-seater RH concept was also awarded the prize and praised by Red Dot for connecting ecological responsibility and emotional driving, as it is powered by a zero-emission hydrogen engine and is equipped with minimal, lightweight equipment.
Several other transport innovations were also praised, including a futuristic bike-sharing service designed for Korea's capital Seoul, which uses bikes with folding handlebars to enable the installation of ultra-compact modular rental stations.
The high-tech Full-Rear-View-Widescreen Monitor was designed to replace convention rear view mirrors, offering an improvement in rear visibility thanks to cameras mounted on the rear of the vehicle and a windscreen display integrated at the top of the windshield.
See all the winners at http://www.red-dot.de/
The red dot award: design concept 2010 winners (mobility):
- Freedom360 (triple-rotation forklift truck)
- Light Weight Concept (urban vehicle which transforms into a motorbike)
- Transparentius road view transmitting system (blind-zone eliminator for trucks)
- Whalejet (personal water propulsion device)
- Shopping Bike (folding bicycle)
- Security Bus Door (to increase visibility of traffic when alighting a bus)
- Opel Flextreme GT/E Concept (lightweight, shape-shifting concept car)
- Full-Rear-View Windscreen Monitor (electronic rear view system)
- Audi RH Concept (hydrogen-powered concept car)
- Paperclip Armrest (armspace increaser for trains and aircraft)
- Cynomy (demolition vehicle)
- T-bike Sharing System (compact bike-share system)
- Halcyon (cleaning unit to reduce firefighter-related cancer)
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...
£23000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This successful group of compan...