Transport of the future - introducing the Red Dot mobility winners
Friday 03 December 2010
Last week saw the prestigious Red Dot design concept award ceremony in Singapore, which highlights the best in conceptual design from around the world.
Over 12,000 concepts from 60 countries were entered in categories that ranged from "domestic aid" to "recreation," but some of the most exciting innovations were in the mobility category.
A total of 13 winners were showcased by the Red Dot, and although none of them won the overall design concept prize (which went to a new football design from Mexico, the CTRUS Football), they provide an exciting insight into the potential future of design.
Opel was showcased for its unique Flextreme GT/E concept car, which premiered in March this year at the Geneva Motor Show in Switzerland and features a unique "shape shifting" design that changes the car's form to reduce turbulence.
Audi's two-seater RH concept was also awarded the prize and praised by Red Dot for connecting ecological responsibility and emotional driving, as it is powered by a zero-emission hydrogen engine and is equipped with minimal, lightweight equipment.
Several other transport innovations were also praised, including a futuristic bike-sharing service designed for Korea's capital Seoul, which uses bikes with folding handlebars to enable the installation of ultra-compact modular rental stations.
The high-tech Full-Rear-View-Widescreen Monitor was designed to replace convention rear view mirrors, offering an improvement in rear visibility thanks to cameras mounted on the rear of the vehicle and a windscreen display integrated at the top of the windshield.
See all the winners at http://www.red-dot.de/
The red dot award: design concept 2010 winners (mobility):
- Freedom360 (triple-rotation forklift truck)
- Light Weight Concept (urban vehicle which transforms into a motorbike)
- Transparentius road view transmitting system (blind-zone eliminator for trucks)
- Whalejet (personal water propulsion device)
- Shopping Bike (folding bicycle)
- Security Bus Door (to increase visibility of traffic when alighting a bus)
- Opel Flextreme GT/E Concept (lightweight, shape-shifting concept car)
- Full-Rear-View Windscreen Monitor (electronic rear view system)
- Audi RH Concept (hydrogen-powered concept car)
- Paperclip Armrest (armspace increaser for trains and aircraft)
- Cynomy (demolition vehicle)
- T-bike Sharing System (compact bike-share system)
- Halcyon (cleaning unit to reduce firefighter-related cancer)
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 King Salman: Just five days in, Saudi Arabia's new king has already overseen a beheading
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 4 Presidential optical illusion offers clues to how brain processes faces
Yakutsk: Journey to the coldest city on earth
Inside Travel: Greece 2015 Q&A - should we cancel our Greek holiday? Are our flights safe? And what will we be spending there?
The Harry Potter locations you can visit
The 10 Best hiking boots
Hogwarts Express joins Warner Bros studio tour: The Harry Potter locations you can visit
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...