Travel Agenda: Aer Lingus launches Gatwick to Cork; Brooklands Hotel opens in Weybridge; Virgin Atlantic to fly to Accra
Saturday 06 March 2010
Today: Aer Lingus launches a twice-daily service from Gatwick to Cork, which will be in addition to its service from Heathrow and will muscle in on Ryanair's monopoly on the route (
This week: With less speed and more style, the Brooklands Hotel opens in Weybridge, Surrey, on Monday on the site of the former Brooklands motor racing circuit. Art Deco-inspired interiors will feature in the rooms, brasserie, bar and spa ( brooklandshotelsurrey.com ). Yet more glamour is offered in Paris, where an exhibition celebrating the life and work of Yves Saint-Laurent opens at the Petit Palais on Thursday, with photos, films and hundreds of his creations; until 29 August ( petitpalais.paris.fr ).
In the diary: Accra gets easier to reach from 24 May, when Virgin Atlantic starts flying to the Ghanaian capital from Heathrow. The thrice-weekly flights will compete with British Airways from Heathrow and Ghana International from Gatwick.
The Independent travel offers: Discover a world of inspiring destinations
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Excellent opportunities are available for par...
£60000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: A global leading travel busi...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This charming and contemporary ...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...